Customising an old custom guitar

Boerboel666

Apr 17, 2010
I have an old custom superstrat type guitar, ash body, ebony fret b, which I am sending for a make over as it doesn't get played much anymore. It's going to get a respray and relic plus new pups's pot's etc which is where I am stuck. It has emg's in HSH config (Mr Sneap himself installed the bridge emg so minor sacrilege getting it replaced:D) The guitar is heavy with lot's of natural sustain (the era in which it was built heavy was good) but it's not that bright. I would like to try some Bareknuckle humbuckers and get rid of the middle single coil. In short high output humbucker's voiced to be a bit more trebly any suggestions appreciated.

JB is the first that comes to mind that or maybe a duncan custom. I've gone through a couple of the BKP's (VH2, Cold Sweat, Miracleman) and while they sound good, they don't sound 2x the price better. The other I'm comfortable suggesting are the Alumitones, both the deathbucker and the regular. They don't quite have a strong characteristic sound as much as they just seem to show everything well. Good luck. Post pics when you get it back, sounds like a sweet guitar.

JB is the first that comes to mind that or maybe a duncan custom. I've gone through a couple of the BKP's (VH2, Cold Sweat, Miracleman) and while they sound good, they don't sound 2x the price better. The other I'm comfortable suggesting are the Alumitones, both the deathbucker and the regular. They don't quite have a strong characteristic sound as much as they just seem to show everything well. Good luck. Post pics when you get it back, sounds like a sweet guitar.

duncan JB 80$, Bare knuckle humbucker 130$. There's no such thing as "2x better" but if you happen to prefer the BKP's you get like me, then I don't see a problem.