Cymbal taming for live show

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
I'm helping fellow band as bands tech guy and helping to get best sound possible. But most local places for live show are CRAPPY - small room and no sound treatment (last one had concrete walls and ceiling). Cymbals wasn't miced because it was cutting ears like razor by it self. I told drummer to play cymbals softer, but he's not that experienced to control it that good.

So is there any easy/ cheap way to tame cymbals for shows like that?
I'm thinking to put pieces of tape on cymbal edges, but I don't have cymbals to test it out.

Hey man, look at this. I've tried it once and it worked pretty well. And it's cheap.
Otherwise, you can buy/built some plexiglas panels. Not too big but little pieces just in front of the cymbals, mounted on mic stands or, better, additional drum fixations so it comes with the drums and no more stuff on the ground :)

Never tape the cymbals they will crack for sure.
Cut out circular rings out of thin foam and put them underneath the cymbal instead, just a little bit bigger than the bell size is usually enough.

Tape on your cymbals will absolutely result in cracked cymbals, if the drummer has crap cheap cymbals and doesn't mind that, sure thing. Otherwise I don't have experience with the Cympad Moderators but I have a set of Optimizers and they're definitely awesome, so I can definitely recommend them