Cynic - The Legend Reborn

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
[IMGLEFT]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/oinkness/cynic_imgleft.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Brandon Strader

In the late 80s / early 90s, the death metal scene was starting to really thrive and prosper with bands such as Death, Possessed, Cynic, and Atheist among others. Probably the two best known out of that little list are Death and Cynic. Only one full-length album was ever released by Cynic, the beloved Focus, and the band disbanded in 1994. Now they are planning some kind of reunion for Spring/Summer 2007 that I recently had the chance to speak to Paul Masvidal about in this first half of a two-part interview for Cynic and Aeon Spoke.

Welcome back, Cynic! What provoked the Cynic reunion and why Spring 2007 instead of right now?

A series of synchronicities incited the reunion. Next spring/summer because we need to time to rehearse, book shows and get all matters in order.

Which members from the original line-up will be returning?

Along with Sean Reinert and myself, Tony Teegarden and Chris Kringel toured with Cynic for Focus. Santiago Dobles is the only member who’s completely new, yet a big part of our past as a student, friend and fellow musician with Aghora.

What kind of tours will Cynic be playing, and where?

All the details will be revealed in due time. At the moment, I suspect most of the major European summer festivals, along with other possible US and Europe dates.

Are there plans to release a new album?

No plans for a new Cynic album. We will be exploring some other possibilities.

"Focus" was released in 1993, and was loved by the metal community. What are your thoughts on the album now, almost 14 years later?

I don’t hear the album in relationship to time. Playing the songs again after all these years feels great. I’m excited to be re-birthing this record in a live setting.

cynic_focus.jpg

I haven't really heard another band that sounds like Cynic. Where did the inspiration or influence to write that kind of material come from?

We listened to Jazz, fusion, other metal bands of the time, pop music, classical, experimental…just about everything, and our music reflected that diversity.

Why did Cynic break up in 1994? Didn't "Focus" sell pretty well?

We morphed, changed, and grew away from the experience of being in a band together. We were frustrated with the music business. It was a combination of life stuff. Focus did ok in its time. It’s sold more in the past 5-10 years than it did it’s first 3-4. The album has taken its time evolving in the ears of the world.

cynic_bandphoto.jpg

Thank you for your time! What have you all decided you would like to do when you officially reform and how far are you going to take it this time?

Not sure what will happen. I’m taking this process one day at a time. We’ll see what unfolds.

Check out cynicalsphere.com for updates.

Official Cynic Website
Official Roadrunner Records Website

Wow. I can't believe it's actually gonna happen. Here's hoping that by some miracle, they come to Australia...

I heard that Atheist are back together and touring as well... anyone confirm/deny?

Edit - I just discovered that's old news. Nevermind.

I am glad to hear about this! I really enjoy the complexity and diversity of their music, because it blends elements of so many genres together so well. They are definately talented musicians!

DAMN... I had the chance to see them live in, around 1994 or something... Opening for Cannibal Corpse I guess... But I missed half the show. Time to get my revenge. Europe Festivals, here I come!

Wow. I can't believe it's actually gonna happen. Here's hoping that by some miracle, they come to Australia...

looks like they have tried - was talking to grizzly bradams and he told me that they (soundworks) were unable to bring atheist + cynic over (together would you believe) due to the fact that they are booked solid for next year with bands you DONT want to miss, which I am not at liberty to reveal at the moment :D

No other promoter has the scope to bring cynic+atheist over imo. maybe post mortem for festival of the dead (which is touring next year), but based on how unsmoothly that ran this year, I wouldnt be keeping my fingers crossed.

looks like they have tried - was talking to grizzly bradams and he told me that they (soundworks) were unable to bring atheist + cynic over (together would you believe) due to the fact that they are booked solid for next year with bands you DONT want to miss, which I am not at liberty to reveal at the moment :D

No other promoter has the scope to bring cynic+atheist over imo. maybe post mortem for festival of the dead (which is touring next year), but based on how unsmoothly that ran this year, I wouldnt be keeping my fingers crossed.

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case....

:OMG:
truly shocking. I'm going to see & hear Cynic!!! :hotjump:
if there was a chance of Nocturnus re-uniting, too, and going on a tour with Cynic for instance :dreaming: ah well, I expect that's too much to ask of Santa Clause :(

Wow that is great! It is a pity they do not want to make another album tho.. :( But I suppose they already made quite a statement with Focus, so they just wont be able to come up with something quite as great once more.. So maybe it is a good thing then... altho still a pity.. :)