D.I. Box for Amp Sims

I have read in the reamping FAQ here than some (i think the countryman) DIbox can't handle the dynamic of some active pickups like the EMG if you play very hard, the signal can go beyong their limit and clip or compress the DI, is that true ? Cause I sometimes hit my strings like a bastard in rythm playing, on my profire2626 if my DI are around -6db average they often clip a few db (which is not hearable cause they are just fast transients). I guess it's not a problem, but just wanted to be sure.

I think the impedance is really not the only parameter you should base a choice uppon. It's just as easy as ABC to make an input 100Mohm.

Awk then, What are the variables I should be looking at?
What defines the quality of a D.I. box?

I have read in the reamping FAQ here than some (i think the countryman) DIbox can't handle the dynamic of some active pickups like the EMG if you play very hard, the signal can go beyong their limit and clip or compress the DI, is that true ? Cause I sometimes hit my strings like a bastard in rythm playing, on my profire2626 if my DI are around -6db average they often clip a few db (which is not hearable cause they are just fast transients). I guess it's not a problem, but just wanted to be sure.

cant say ive ever heard that, and we all know sturgis uses one. and ive seen him track guys with emgs aplenty, ask Jeff-TD?

I'M going to try to put my Geek hat on but I think over the years Its way too big now. I'm thinking frequency response to input impedance is going to depend on a variation of this formula: F=1/(2*pi*C*Z).
Where: F=Is were Frequency starts to roll off @ -3db, C=Internal input Capacitance, Z is your impedance, and pi= is 2*3.14. Of course it depends on if the capacitors are configured for HP or LP filtering.
If any of this is wrong please bear with me since It's been awhile since I studied this stuff.

:erk: After reading this I'm all confused.

Gonna start doing some tracking next week with passive pickups (Seymour Duncan JB) and now sure which is the best signal chain with the gear I have to hand.
Normally go Radial JDI --> GAP PRE73 --> Motu.

First question - with passive pickups would the Low-Z on the GAP improve the sound greatly as the Ohms with the low-Z in jumps from 300 to 1200?

Second question - I also have a UA 710 which I just got and the trannie side of the pre sounds mega clean. Would that be a better choice than the GAP or I'm I splitting hairs here. I haven't had time to sit with this stuff and battle it out.

The Countryman Type 85 is a perfectly fine, professional grade DI box. You can find it in countless studios around the world and most likely a ton of your favorite albums.

Sorry to drop this thread down to N00bsville, but I was wondering, since the DIs I get using my GuitarPort sound very much less than impressive, would I get a substantial improvement if I were using a decent quality DI box in front of it?

Sorry to drop this thread down to N00bsville, but I was wondering, since the DIs I get using my GuitarPort sound very much less than impressive, would I get a substantial improvement if I were using a decent quality DI box in front of it?

I'm asking myself the same question. I use a line6 KB37, will it improve my sound if I use a DI box before it and plug it into the xlr connection instead of just plugging my guitar into the "instrument" jack in ?