Daath cover - rate me !

Unleech89

New Metal Member
Feb 23, 2011
Hello,
I decided to cover one of my favorite song from Daath (which is really awesome :p ), namely "From the blind".
I've tried to record it quite seriously. I recorded 2 guitars for every rythm and solos, and tried to mix it properly.
As it's one of my first mix, I didn't really know how to proceed, so I did by little steps, experimenting things until I got something nice to me!

Here is the thing : From the blind cover - Daath

Maybe the drums are not really mix well, but it's quite hard as the kick bursts quite a lot. Tell me!
I would enjoy having some rate / advice / criticizes concerning my work, so that I can improve it.

Thanks !

Changed the drum samples used, and remixed drums. It's better I think!

Need opinion about my work !!!

Drums especially the bassdrum sounds way too synthetic, and the guitars muffling to much around. ^^
Try some other drum samples and maybe try alternating different ones for the bassdrum.
For the guitars put more presence in there, sry I´cant tell anything about the bass because I don´t
hear much of it.

If I could give you one important advice... leave the older demos. So there is nothing
to compare with. But while hearing your newest one I have to say guitars are muffling
still too much around. And the drums aren´t also really better than in my memory.
Still to synthetic. What samples do you use? And which program?

Drum patterns NEED to be humanized (changing velocity, timing, randomly or not), kick should not be so loud too.

For the guitars, if you have an asio soundcard, why don't you try some free amp sims like Lepou's Lecto and Ongel TSE X50, both with Alu or Catharsis free impulses ? Huge improvement with them, no doubt...

Anyway, good guitar playing, go on !