Damond Jiniya (ex Savatage singer) speaks...

TwizstedJesus

Mar 1, 2004
Did anybody read Damond's comments on his time with Savatage? Why would he even speak now? He did alright as Zakks replacement, but does anybody really care about his shitty comments? He did one tour with them!

Timing is odd for sure, but I find noting wrong with the comments....great video though that they posted....he was, vocally, a perfect fit.

sounds like the interviewer did a chop shop job of editing on that interview

Read the comments, you'll find a post by Damond clarifying some things about the interview......typical blabbermouth trying to stir up animosity by twisting the story

I think it's funny that he seems to be blaming Savatage or Jon for picking up some "bad habits". :lol: From the bootleg footage that I've seen of Damond fronting the band, he seems to have been a good hybrid of both Zak and Jon.

~Brian~

Where are the comments? I'd like to read them. I think it's a shame Savatage never released an album with him. He was a killer vocalist.

Agree 100%. I saw Savatage in Dallas on the Poets & Madmen tour in 2001 with Damond. Just a phenomenal singer in every regard. Got to meet him too, he was a class act. It really is a crying shame he never recorded anything with the band!

What I can't believe after reading those quotes of his-- he waited around until 2009 expecting Savatage would do something? Yikes!

I saw him om the Poets tour, and he was excellent. I'd like to see him do something else, since Savatage appears to be done.

I saw him om the Poets tour, and he was excellent. I'd like to see him do something else, since Savatage appears to be done.

Same here...and not Diet of Worms. (PLEASE, not that.)

But I was blown away when I saw Damond fronting Savatage at the old Cotton Club (when it was under the Tabernacle)...truly a splendid frontman and so full of fire for the whole performance...even mouthing Jon's vocals into his mic when he wasn't actually singing them.
I remember a lot of guys wearing Savatage Legion shirts seeing Damond's gothy look, curling their lips in disdain....and then being blown away, just like me. Amazing night.
Nice guy, too, afterwards.

He was really amazing the two times I saw him with Savatage, and it's a shame they weren't able to get him on an album. I don't see what good it does him to spout off about all this stuff now though. I'm sure it was disappointing to have the band fold just after he signed on, but it did raise his profile considerably. Find a new gig and move on.

Agree 100%. I saw Savatage in Dallas on the Poets & Madmen tour in 2001 with Damond. Just a phenomenal singer in every regard. Got to meet him too, he was a class act. It really is a crying shame he never recorded anything with the band!

What I can't believe after reading those quotes of his-- he waited around until 2009 expecting Savatage would do something? Yikes!

You nailed it, dude!! I was a nomad for that tour and saw him a half dozen times. He could do the Zak stuff and the Jon stuff with an avengance!! (I was also at the Dallas show). I understand that "spooky" stuff - when he would sing HOMK, that part where he say's "my friends...", he could crouch down and walk the stage like some kind of crazed arachnid and growl it out. It was damn creepy!!!!

I had several chances to talk with him and he seemed very likable and humble. He brought an energy to Savatage at that time they sorely needed. I, too, would have loved to heard him in the studio!!!!

I saw nothing wrong with the inteview - very little in there was suprising. However, it was pretty easy to see the TSO thing coming, when everything they touched went platinum and Sava was lucky to sell 100,000 copies!!

Chris :headbang:

I don't see anything wrong with the comments...he's kept quiet for a long time, and is now just being honest about his perspective on the experience.

It's really a shame that nothing ever materialized with him and the band. I saw them in 2001 (I think it was 9/12, so it was a strange time), and Damond absolutely blew me away. He had so much talent, and an incredible amount of charisma. I'm surprised he hasn't been able to attach himself to something else yet.

Had the pleasure of showing up early to a show in The Woodlands (Houston) and ended up having lunch with Damond, along with Mark Zonder. Shot pool with Joey Vera and Jeff Plate, and later critiqued soundcheck for both bands...but that's besides the point...ah, good times!

Anyway, Damond was happy as hell to be in the band and definitely gave his all as a performer. To my knowledge, he didn't have a lot of band cred, but had done more musical theater work at the time, so the whole heavy-metal touring thing was a bit new to him. He struck me as a very genuine person, a gifted performer, and a guy that was willing and able to assume the role of metal frontman, trading vocal licks with Jon all night. He was bombastic, dramatic, and ballsy, and a very welcome addition to the Savatage regime. The same may also be said of Jack Frost at the time, who punished his guitar and the stage like he had something to prove...Thorazine Shuffle, indeed!

At the time, I was hoping that Damond would become more than a hired gun (which it was very apparent he was at the time), but...life sucks...and he has become a very ignored footnote in the history of the band...and metal, in general, which is a shame.

Makes you wonder why he never appeared on a TSO stage, though.....

We will probably never know...

This Thursday (2/2/12) (live 11:00 EST) and Saturday (2/4/12) (same time) music critic/author Aaron Joy will broadcast on his Savatage/TSO podcast show an exclusive 2-part interview with Savatage vocalist Damond Jiniya about the final years of Savatage, the good and bad, working with Jack Frost and Jeff Waters and even recording with Trans-Siberian Orchestra for an abandoned project.

This comes in response to the interview he did earlier last year for a Brazilian interview that, according to him, left A LOT lost in translation and made him, Jon Oliva and a lot of people not happy. (This is the interview being referred to earlier in this thread)

Jiniya asked Aaron to talk with him to clear up the picture and his experience with Savatage to set the record straight. It's a great interview and they really dig into some things. You can also find the show if you search for TSO in itunes.

Tune in here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/transsiberianorchestra

This Thursday (2/2/12) (live 11:00 EST) and Saturday (2/4/12) (same time) music critic/author Aaron Joy will broadcast on his Savatage/TSO podcast show an exclusive 2-part interview with Savatage vocalist Damond Jiniya about the final years of Savatage, the good and bad, working with Jack Frost and Jeff Waters and even recording with Trans-Siberian Orchestra for an abandoned project.

This comes in response to the interview he did earlier last year for a Brazilian interview that, according to him, left A LOT lost in translation and made him, Jon Oliva and a lot of people not happy. (This is the interview being referred to earlier in this thread)

Jiniya asked Aaron to talk with him to clear up the picture and his experience with Savatage to set the record straight. It's a great interview and they really dig into some things. You can also find the show if you search for TSO in itunes.

Tune in here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/transsiberianorchestra

Hmmm...I'll check this out...thanks for the heads up! I had no idea (there's no reason for me to know) that Damond ever recorded with TSO. He would've been a killer vocalist for them for sure!

~Brian~

~Brian~