Dan - how bad did Moontower really sell?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
I am sorry to hear that Moontower's sales were so bad; it's perhaps the most amazing thing you've done since Unicorn. Sad that people are so attached to monikers when buying albums. I kinda agree the disc would have rocked and sold tons if it came out as an EOS release.

Anyway, could you please tell us how Moontower compared to your best selling EOS discs? How many copies did it sell?

Also how many albums on average do you usually sell with Nightingale? 30 thousand? 50 thousand? Less? More?

Thanks!

Mezarkabul said:
I am sorry to hear that Moontower's sales were so bad; it's perhaps the most amazing thing you've done since Unicorn. Sad that people are so attached to monikers when buying albums. I kinda agree the disc would have rocked and sold tons if it came out as an EOS release.

Anyway, could you please tell us how Moontower compared to your best selling EOS discs? How many copies did it sell?

Also how many albums on average do you usually sell with Nightingale? 30 thousand? 50 thousand? Less? More?

Thanks!

I don't know, but I'd guess with Nightingale they sell like < 5000 Worldwide per album and with Bloodbath maybe something like 20.000.
It's pretty strange, but I thought it would be more in metal generally. I think I heard that In the Woods... sold like only 1000 form Omnio and Entombed nowadays too only 1000 or so. but I can be wrong.
I'd like to know.

Prog rock and stuff like that isn't supposed to sell that well these days, not like the 70s with Rush or anything. But I guess Rush still sells pretty well these days too. It is too bad that Moontower didn't sell well, I still have to buy one myself!

Most "brilliant - groundbreaking - inspriational" albums are those that don't break sales records. Moontower is one of those recordings. Definately my absolute favorite album of all time, metal-wise. I'm sure Dan makes lotsa money with other releases. Moontower was an "in-between" release for him and was too personal to be an EoS album, IMO... but what do I know?

I know its fairly difficult to find in stores in Chicago. I think I've burned like 20 copies for friends who simply couldn't find it in stores.. I can safely say that is a reason for a slagging sales. It's hard to find.

If anyone is still having trouble finding the album and your local store is not prepared to order it in for you, go to:

www.blackmark.net

I am not sure about the other currencies, but the UK price is £6 (which I think is the equivalent of $10US). Not sure how much they charge for postage on single items, last order I put in was for several CDs, a DVD and shirt.

AlexGuinness said:
If anyone is still having trouble finding the album and your local store is not prepared to order it in for you, go to:

www.blackmark.net

I am not sure about the other currencies, but the UK price is £6 (which I think is the equivalent of $10US). Not sure how much they charge for postage on single items, last order I put in was for several CDs, a DVD and shirt.

theendrecords also has it, cheaper if you're in the US, NO SHIPPING!

Also, shipping @ the blackmark is only $3.25! Very good, considering it's from Sweden...... love my crimson II shirt!

Kloris said:
I would have purchased Moontower long ago, had it not been for the insane price of I think $18 that it was going for.... I figured it sold pretty well, I didn't know. :(

Most stores in the UK charge 50% MORE than that for just about every album release!

Hence why I buy most of mine online...

Moontower sold a couple of copies in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where I got mine. Actually, for a long time, in Music Zone in San Juan you could get all of Dan's stuff, Nightingale / Moontower / Edge of Sanity. So Dan's stuff is probably a lot better traveled than some people think. It probably didn't sell that many copies, but I think that has to do with the fact that Dan commercially probably isn't that big on this side of the pond.

I've spread the love a lot; everyone on my AIM list basically has one song from Dan Swano, and a couple of them have gone and bought some of his stuff, and a friend of mine even ordered all his Nightingale albums.

Also, when I first bought Moontower, I was lukewarm towards it. Several years later, in spite of being well versed in Swano's music, I gave it another listen, and pounded myself in the head with a hammer. Moontower is very fucking good, I hope Dan realizes how good Uncreation and In Empty Phrases are. My least favorite part of that album is the drumming, and metalheads tend to be pretentious about bad drumming (think about how bad Matthew Archer was on those early Paradise Lost albums, and how good those songs would be if Lee Morris had played on them instead). Obviously, the Moontower percussion is good, but imagine if Dan had someone real good (Re: Death's Richard Christy) playing that last part of Empty Phrases.

Anyway, I have the imagination to appreciate what Moontower is. I think maybe a lot of people didn't when it was released. Dan was really ahead of his time. I'd really, really like to see a second Moontower. I think people would be a lot more receptive to it.

I had a similar experience: at first i didn't like it at all. but it grew on me, and when it did, it became an instant favorite.

if only i could find Unicorn anywhere, i'd be getting more of that too

I contributed to the sales figures by buying 3 Moontower CD's so far haha, I like making presents sometimes ;) This album is one of the greatest music masterpieces. Ever.