Dan: how was White Darkness recorded?

Dan--awesome! Thanks for the response.

Some follow up questions:

- The CD says you also did the mastering--what did you use for that? Did you master in the same room you mixed in?

- Guitar...I am amazed that you got the sound on this album w/ just a 57! Great job. You sure there wasn't a 414 mic'ing the room for the guitars as well? :)

- Also, guitar: how did you do the acoustics?

- Lastly, I remember when we last discussed gear (many years ago), you were really into using AKG K1000's for mixing...why the switch to the Genelecs?

Thanks!!!!

Best wishes.
Dan--awesome! Thanks for the response.

Some follow up questions:

- The CD says you also did the mastering--what did you use for that? Did you master in the same room you mixed in?

The masteringprocess is just as overrated as preamps ;)
I did very little to the mix in the mastering. The sound was there at the mixdown. I might have been able to squeeze the level a little bit more and I might have done some minor corrective eq. Don´t really remember.
But burning the perfect master is not always a piece of cake. There´s crossfades to prefect and also PQ codes that must be just perfect for my lazy carstereo (that often cuts the beginning of the track if the code is too close to the start) and stuff like that.:loco:

- Guitar...I am amazed that you got the sound on this album w/ just a 57! Great job. You sure there wasn't a 414 mic'ing the room for the guitars as well? :)
Ambiencemikes on guitars are just as overrated as mastering and preamps all together!! The amount of compression I apply on rhythmguitars often bring the ambience from the room into the closemike anyway. The guitars stood miked in a bit woody kitchen. The ambience in there was really cool, but like I said, ambience mikes are 99% of the times only used for effect if there is a small break with only one guitar to the left or so. If you want a Roomy guitarrsou nd I believe it to sound better with a really good sampled room in S.I.R.

- Also, guitar: how did you do the acoustics?

Really easy!! ATM4033, straight to Nuendo with no correction what so ever!! The placement of the mike took maybe 30 minutes, but Dag was patient and let me do my thing, and all of a sudden...BOOM!! Magic. And the obvious "Move and you die!!" comment :)
- Lastly, I remember when we last discussed gear (many years ago), you were really into using AKG K1000's for mixing...why the switch to the Genelecs?
I never made a decent mix with the K1000 anyway, so I sold them to some Stockholm engineer. The Genelecs are so amazing after you "tune" them in your room, tha´t it´s beyond amazing!!
Thanks!!!!!

I'm interested in how you got the verse vocals in Hideaway? They sound really thin, and I love it!

I think it was me soloing one of the mid-bands in the classic Quadrafuzz
There you have the worst crossovers known to man and distortion from 1 to 10000%
This plug is nolonger with me since It´s removed from Cubase 4 :cry:
Now I have to find a new distortion plug to crush things with.
Any tips on a multiband distortion plug that rocks???

Dan Swanö;6317493 said:
I think it was me soloing one of the mid-bands in the classic Quadrafuzz
There you have the worst crossovers known to man and distortion from 1 to 10000%
This plug is nolonger with me since It´s removed from Cubase 4 :cry:
Now I have to find a new distortion plug to crush things with.
Any tips on a multiband distortion plug that rocks???

I think you can just put back the Quadrafuzz.dll in your VSTplugins-folder. And then it's there again :)
In case you can't find it:

http://download.yousendit.com/24E06D6F554EC92B