Dan Swanö publishes old UNISOUND studio diary online (w/ notes)

fireangel

May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest
[hope not to be spamming, since I´m not here often, but I thought it´s interesting for some Katatonia-fans maybe]

Dan Swanö published a digitalized studio diary from Unisound 1997 online on his page and added lots of stories and memories to it. You can read there also about Katatonia and Opeth-recordings :)

Have a look over at Dan's forum if you are interested:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/dan-swanoe/650461-nostalgia-time-part-1-www-unisound-se.html

Here is a direct link, too:
http://www.unisound.se/book/black/#1

Thanks. Can't say I care about any of the records he talked about, but it was still an interesting read. This was the most intriguing bit, "It sounded cool. We managed to sample the kick drum from Dream Theater's 'Awake' and used that for the whole record. I also did my best to get the Inverse effect from the Awake-Snare."

15.jpg

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

Since the guys had some kind of girlfriend related "war" going on… Katatonia was Nyströms project now.

He and I had all these fantastic ideas for it.

He wanted to make some kind of Chris Isaak metal or something like that, but just days before, he called and said that Jonas and he "made peace" and that Katatonia was back!!!

Since Jonas always was the dark side of Katatonia, I feared the worst :)

And I was right. The songs were the most dissonant, strange stuff I had heard in a long time.

And I must admit that I was a bit disappointed with the whole "turn out" of this session. But once Micke Åkerfeldt was begged down to Örebro to rescue the vocals, the album started to become a different beast.

Bleak as fuck and with a really thin and strange production…that somehow struck a nerve with people…

I even heard some Finnish band that cloned the sound down to the last detail…

I guess the clone band Dan mentioned in there is Rapture? What's funny is I think the band were annoyed about Rapture copying their sound, but fully embraced Daylight Dies and even took them on tour. I think both bands copy their style well!