Danza 4

AboutBlank

Nov 27, 2009
Berlin, Germany
Awesome shit!
It's out now and I can't stop listening, soo brutal stuff!!!

Just a heads up...

(And it seems that NSGuitar engineered and mixed...)

I don't think he engineered it because from what I saw in the videos they tracked themselves, not sure if everything though. Not a fan of the music unfortunately :/

"Danza IIII contains guest vocal appearances by Whitechapel's Phil Bozeman and Obey the Brave/Despised Icon's Alex Erian. The album was engineered and mixed by Nicholas Scott (Miss May I)."

From the website. The album sounds sick though!

Will Putney ended up mixing this album not Nick. Also Josh the guitar player tracked most of everything at Nick's studio. They were unhappy with the mixes he gave them and the work he did so they pretty much did everything themselves.

Album is sick, I love it. Guitars clip frequently on both versions I have though... gets really annoying after awhile. If I can find a CD local I might pick it up to see if I just have two bad digital rips but I haven't heard an album with guitars that clip this bad since Burn the Priest

Haven't noticed hard clipping(bought online)...

Thx for clearing up, Phil, the mix is sick and I wondered because I've heard a little Putney before I read the Nick stuff...

Will Putney ended up mixing this album not Nick. Also Josh the guitar player tracked most of everything at Nick's studio. They were unhappy with the mixes he gave them and the work he did so they pretty much did everything themselves.

Really? Why does it say that it was Nick who tracked and mixed on pretty much every website that mentions this album? I did notice the tracking videos, they were basically tracking themselves

Haven't noticed hard clipping(bought online)...

Thx for clearing up, Phil, the mix is sick and I wondered because I've heard a little Putney before I read the Nick stuff...

lol which version do you have then? I'd kill for one without clipping. At first I thought I had blown my monitors but I notice it on my PC speakers, earbuds, headphones and truck stereo even.. I have the 320kpbs torrent version then the 256kbps iTunes version as well

320 Amazon...
I'll check on my monitors to make shure but it's def not disturbing on phones or my normal stereo...(?!)

Pedro, do you have any link to the tracking vids? Wasn't able to find them on Youtube.

The whole CD is pretty mediocre compared to their prior releases. Rehashed riffs, inaudible bass, and super compressed. I mean, none of their productions are really great sounding so I guess this is par for the course, but that's no excuse for weak songwriting. I'll just listen to Danza 2 and pretend it's Danza 4.

Respectfully quoting Nick himself:
Regarding the clipping: I'm 99% sure that was a mistake made during distro/duplication, there was absolutely no clipping going on in my master. Margin set to -.3 (Industry standard) and I think it peaks at about -8 RMS
The kick is simply 50%real kick and 50% sampled. The sample is the one I sampled from danzas actual kit and processed as well, sorta to just fill in the gaps and keep it consistient. Everything else for drums is 100% real.
The main thing I wanted on this record was to emmulate them live and focus on the 'slam' factor. Didn't give a shit about how even and pure the levels were so much because that comes natrually. So I esentially INFLAMED every instrument as largly as I possibly could. The thing that helped most with that is AMAZINGLY solid and filthy takes, and lots of parallel compression and other parallel tricks. I also slammed the 2bus with my favorite secret compressor. That's what helps to really groove that slam and make it feel like one giant monster rather than just a buch of perfectly fine tuned instruments

Yeah Nick did infact mix and master this. I just heard from a few people Will did it cause the band was unhappy with what Nick had done. Oh well still a great record. But I have never actually liked the sound overall of any Danza record. I just love the songs.