Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
Dark Funeral – Attera Totus Sanctus
Regain Records – RR 070 – 24.10.05
By Anna Novitzky

RR070_preview.jpg

Dark Funeral are one of those bands that it’s very hard to take seriously. I mean, just look at them. This side of Mortiis, has anyone ever looked so daft in the name of their art? But then, looking daft is a competitive sport in the world of black metal, so I suppose we should congratulate them for doing so well. Congratulations may also be in order for this, their fourth studio album.

Attera Totus Sanctus is raw, scary and tr00 black metal that does the job it sets out to do but isn’t, perhaps, quite as raw, scary and tr00 as it thinks it is. There’s nothing to complain about for those of us who like our poses silly and our artwork full of amusingly over-the-top demons: the drumming is ferocious, the guitars are harsh and the vocals sound like a horse with a sore throat being tortured to death in a warehouse – which, as everybody knows, is a good thing. It’s just that none of it quite lives up to all the self promotion about it being an evil satanic symphony and the herald of Armageddon, which I feel is somewhat rude, having gone to so much effort to build up our expectations. However, taken in isolation from the hysterical press release, the music is really rather good. Crystal clear production (not so good for the tr00, but nice for the sound) and some variation between tracks – you can differentiate between songs! – elevates Attera Totus Sanctus that little bit above Dark Funeral’s previous work.

So there you have it: Armageddon – no. Good clean badger-faced, axe-wielding fun? Yes indeed.

8/10

Official Website of Dark Funeral
Official Website of Regain Records