Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done

Ormir

Oct 11, 2001
Espoo, Finland
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done

damage.jpg

Dark Tranquillity has always been the odd band out in the esteemed Gothenburg death metal scene. While at the same time defining the scene in their early career, DT has been redefining their own sound with every subsequent release. Whether it were the folk-influenced death metal of their debut Skydancer, the incredibly technical prog-death of The Gallery, or the depeche-modish melancholia of Projector, Dark Tranquillity has always succeeded completely in whatever style they re-invent themselves as. After the slightly dissapointing Haven, following the grammy-nominee Projector, Dark Tranquillity has returned with their sixth album, Damage Done.

With Damage Done, DT abandon the experimental quality of their past albums, and don't even try to be anything else than a pure-blooded melodic death metal band. While untold amounts of new copy-bands haven't managed to take the style anywhere, Dark Tranquillity return to the sound and show how worthless the majority of the "scene" is. Counting on their past qualitys, DD brings us supreme musicianship, enthralling melodys and subtle beauty in agression. The keyboards that dominated Haven are relegated to a secondary status, and truly add a dimension to their sound that is out of reach to most second rate acts. The centre of the sound is naturally Niklas Sundin's and Martin Henriksson's masterful guitaring, backed up by Anders Jivarp's highly original drumming. Mikael Stanne delivers again, as both the premiere death metal vocalist and lyricist, writing in his distinct metaphorical style. Fredrik Norman provides us with a crisp, heavy sound befitting the agressive style of Damage Done perfectly.

With all of the pieces fitting so well together, I should be extatic about this album. Sadly, I find myself wanting the spark of mad creativity and originality that labeled their past efforts. DT has never failed to suprise me with their new directions, but DD leaves me thinking that they are being a bit too formulaic. There is really nothing that hasn't been done before by DT on this one, despite how well the fusion has worked.

Based solely on it's own merits, Damage Done stands as one of this years best metal releases, and a breath of fresh air into the stagnating Gothenburg scene. Unfortunately, Damage Done is nothing more than a melodic death metal release, and surely a dissapointment to anyone who has followed their musical metamorphosis.

I tend to agree, but I don't think it is Dark Tranquility that are becoming "stale" as such - I think it could be the whole 'melodic-death-gothenburg' trend.

I'm not sure how it can progress - we've witnessed the In Flames approach with R2R and that's gone down like a ton of bricks.

I think DT played it safe and went back to the basics - a band like DT can't fail when they return to the original formula. That's good enough for me.

I don't think its just a complete step back, or completely generic.

This is their first full on album with keyboards, so I feel its different enough, while DT always manage to remain unique feeling because of the way they go about their songs.

I don't view this as stale - its just a neccesary step for what they're gonna do next...

i bought last week the album , and it's amazing to hear a combination of aggresive death metal with gentle dose of melodic old-school heavy metal.
It's awesome!!!