Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Dark Tranquillity – Damage Done
Century Media – 2002
By Russell Garwood

Since their conception in the late eighties, Dark Tranquillity have been instrumental in defining the Gothenburg sound, and continue to develop, pushing the boundaries of melodic death. Damage Done, the band’s tenth studio recording, is a slightly heavier proposition than their two previous albums, and sees, Martin Brandstrom, who is responsible for keyboard and synths, promoted to a full time member. The song-writing is impressive – among a myriad of exceedingly memorable guitar hooks are well placed, emotive keyboards, strong, compelling drumming and solid bass work. The archetypal, reasonably low death growls are also catchy -– they suit the music well and almost have you growling along at times.

The production, courtesy of Fredrik Nordström (At The Gates, Opeth etc.), is also excellent – well balanced, clear instruments interweave to create strong ambiences throughout while the mixing integrates keyboards seamlessly. Standouts include track three “Monochromatic Stains” for the unforgettable chorus, “Hours Passed In Exile” which has captivating guitar hooks, catchy yet heavy instrumental outro “Ex Nihilo”, and the epic feel of “The Enemy”.

“Damage Done” demonstrates the extent to which Dark Tranquillity have successfully mixed the aggression and anger of death metal with the melody and technicality of more accessible genres. That this album is catchy and has great atmosphere there is no doubt, but whether it will rapidly become boring or lose it’s appeal is hard to say. This is, however, my only reservation in an all-round excellent release which will appeal to all fans of melodic death and, due to it’s accessibility, many fans of less extreme music as well.

Damage Done is like one of those dreams where you say: oh I wish I was 15 with the experience I have now.
It's like going back the to beginning of melodic death metal but with the amazing sound and experience Dark Tranquillity has gained over the years.

I was so impressed with this album. I really like Haven, but Damage Done has kicked it's ass. I have not quit listening to this record since it came out.

The thing i was going to write its the same that manuelgv has done.
The best thing from this awesome band its that they never go on an straight direction. The change they did on projector (great gothic touch!) scared me a little bit because i didn´t know what direction that was going to take.
But after they come with HAVEN. a GREAT album with all those synth arrangements that took place on projector, but a hard kicking great album.
I expected now an album on this line too, but they fucking greatly went back to the gallery and took that agressive yet melodic elememts with wich they started an release an album that fullfills a fucking circle in extreme music history. Metalheads, on your knees.