Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Century Media Records – CM8303-2- January 25, 2005
By Rodrigo Escandon

71a36cd2.jpg

With other melodic death metal bands like In Flames and Soilwork straying further and further away from their roots and into a more marketable sound, it is refreshing to know that Dark Tranquillity still manages to put out aggressive and melodic albums while staying true to their roots. Their previous album, Damage Done, might have been their best effort ever and expectations were high to hear what the Swedes would have in store with their newest effort, Character.

Character has many great things going for it. First, would be the fact that it’s the heaviest sounding Dark Tranquillity album to date. Second, Mikael Stanne sings more with his higher pitch death metal style from The Gallery-era. Finally, compared to the last 3 albums, Dark Tranquillity uses a wider array of guitar riffs and melodies which is also reminiscent to their pre-Projector days. “The New Build” works perfectly as an album opener by setting an aggressive tone and blast beats are actually played by Anders Jivarp. The aggressive pace continues with “Through Smudged Lenses” and “Out of Nothing” but all these songs pale into comparison to what could be the band’s finest song “Lost in Apathy”. This is the perfect combination of aggression, melody and catchiness. The interplay between the guitars and the great keyboard melodies are awesome and this simply will be a great live song.

In the past albums, I have enjoyed the use of Martin Brändstörm’s keyboards but one of the biggest downfalls that Character has is how the keyboards sound really bad at times almost like they belong in a game from the NES Nintendo-era. Songs like “The Endless Feed”, “One Thought” and “Senses Tied” are not as enjoyable because of the way the keyboards sound. Another aspect that I did not enjoy in Character was the transitions from a fast tempo to a slow one like in “Mind Matters” and “Am I I?” These transitions or changes sound really forced at times and the flow of the song is clearly disrupted. Finally, the closing song “My Negation” is extremely underwhelming as it is very slow and does not really carry your attention. It is a shame that Character closes like this especially with the strong songs that are found in the beginning.

In the final analysis, Character had the chance to be an excellent album. Some of the bands best moments are present in this album but the negative aspects I found really weight the album down. The last time I played Character I actually played Damage Done right after and it became very obvious that the latter one is the stronger and better album so I can’t help but to say that Character is a disappointment.

7/10

Dark Tranquillity Official Website
Century Media Records Official Website

well, that´s your opinion....

IMHO damage done was by far their weakest effort up do date. the songs were (mostly) aveage, the production was kind of weird, but most of all the "dark tranquillity feeling" was missing......

but that´s just MHO

this album is really so much better, in every aspect

i´d say character is a 9.5/10

To me, Character is THE Dark Tranquillity album. I never thought they would surpass Damage Done, but they did it with this one. Character WILL be the best cd released this year and it could become one of my top 10 fav cd's of all time (thats saying ALOT).

I give 9 to the album. IT IS an excellent album. Endless feed and mind matters are two of my favorites. Ending the album with the slow paced " My Negation " is just a good idea IMO. It adds a new mood to the album, which can"t be really bad.

I picked this album up at random as I heard the name mentioned on the Opeth forum. I think the songs are fairly predictable but I don't see much room left for inventiveness in the genre. So, I don't hold that against them. It's fairly heavy and the melodic parts are nicely done, if not a trifle simple - but I think they fit well with their overall sound. This is my first album purchase of ought-five and I'm looking foward to listening to it for quite awhile. I dig this album and I recommend it.

Hey rodrigo...just because a song is slow doesn't make it "underwhelming"...My Negation is one of DT's best ever IMO. I'd give this album a 9.5/10. I've been listening to it every day for the past couple of weeks, and it just keeps getting better. I'll admit it took a lot longer to sink in than Damage Done, but give it a chance and I'm sure It'll click eventually. So yea..I'd say this is DT's best album yet and anyone reading this should go out and buy it as soon as possible.

Great, great album, and yes I think it's an improvement over Damage Done. Obviously not even close to The Gallery, but that much goes without saying...

With that said, I agree entirely with the reviewer in that those keyboards are just fucking godawful. Get rid of them now, a band like this really doesn't need to leverage the sounds of Linkin Park and Final Fantasy for those videogame 'ping pong' synths. Gah!