Dark Tranquility - Haven

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
Dark Tranquility - Haven
Century Media Records - 2000

/images/covers/darktranquillity_haven.jpg

Haven is the latest album by the Swedish band Dark Tranquillity. Along with In Flames and the now-defunct At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity helped to establish the Gothenburg scene. These bands play melodic and technical metal but with death style vocals. However, with each new album they come out with, Dark Tranquillity continues to challenge themselves and explore new musical directions. This album is no exception, while it contains many of the elements of the last album Projector; Haven is definitely a much better album.
Once again, the presence of keyboards and electronics are heavily integrated into the songs. But this time around the weaker elements of Projector are eliminated and we are left with better songs. Also, mostly gone are the "clean" vocals that singer Mikael Stanne used in their last album, only one song "Emptier Still" features this style of singing and along with the tedious slow pace of this song it makes it the weakest track. However, this is really the only negative in this album. Most of the music on the album is mid-tempo but it is heavy and brutal and the keyboard usage is fantastically played especially in "The Wonders At Your Feet", the blistering fast opening track. "Indifferent Suns" is very cool and has a very heavy and catchy chorus. "Not Built to Last" is another head banging mid-tempo track that is mixed with slow interludes to really make it rather interesting. "Fabric" has a very remarkable intro with the keyboards starting it off and then the guitars come shredding into the mix. "Rundown" is another speedy crushing song and it is my favorite of the album. It has really speedy parts and has a nice change of pace during the verses. The catchy chorus is easily the best one of the entire album.

Haven is a definite improvement over Projector and it is obvious that they want to go in a more heavy direction with their music. They should try to speed up their songs a bit more because I feel that is where they are at their best. They have the elements, the talent, and the drive to come out with a real crushing effort. It is quite clear that Dark Tranquillity is not interested in making the music found in the albums like The Gallery and Skydancer. Some people might find this unfortunate but the direction they are taking right now leads me to believe that better things are still to come.

To my dismay, Haven is the only album I own by Dark Tranquillity. But without any knowledge of DT's back catalogue, I can agree totally with Rodrigo's review. Haven is a fantastic album that points towards DT's eventual progression into an unavoidable, dynamic force in the melodic and, indeed, gothic scenes of metal.
Buy it right this second. No, I'm not joking. Right now.
I order you!
:)

I too only have Haven but must agree that its a great album.
However, I wouldnt say its particularly "brutal" or heavy. It has lots of elements of thrash, death etc but all played with loads of melody and texture.

And a mention of Rundown, the only blatant massive-riff-driven track of the album, should also be made me thinks.

I have been a DT-fan since The minds I was released, and I beleive that old and new DT are two different bands, which both have their positive and negative sides. I like the old DT because their extremely intense and "riffy" music, and the wonderfull vocal jumping between Stanne and Fridén (Fridén is now the lead singer in In Flames). Not to forget the very special use of bass that DT have on their early work.
But the recent work of DT (Projector, Haven, and Damage done) is a totally different kind of metal, and I can't really say which one of them i prefer. With the newly released Damage Done, DT tries to regain some of their fans that they lost with Projector, and the music of course is a bit different from Haven, though you can undoubtly hear that it is Haven and not Skydancer that they have listened most to when making the album.

However, Haven is, in my opinion, one of the best albums ever made in the melodic death metal genre. It is pretty intense, it has wonderfull vocals, two guitarists that blend together perfectly, and a very intresting keybordplayer in Brändström. My favourites are Fabric, The same, Emptier still and of course The wonders at your feet.
A great album which I definetly recomend, and Rodrigo's review showes good what the music i all about