Dark Tranquillity - New Album "Endtime Signals" out 2024-08-16

mindd

Faithless by Default
Nov 10, 2016
Serbia/Russia
It is time we have our own DT thread on the IF forum.

New single The Last Imagination is out. (also attached to this post as mp3)

Attachments

• Dark Tranquillity - The Last Imagination.mp3
    9 MB
  • Cover - The Last Imagination.jpg
    Cover - The Last Imagination.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The song sounds strangely a lot like something from Fiction, although the production was a bit punchier on that.

This is great, I like it a lot. You can immediately tell from the intro that you're listening to DT, they have a very distinct sound with their keys and atmosphere. Stanne has seemed revitalised since THE began, he sounds as good here as he did twenty years ago. To me the song sounds like a mix between the DT stuff of the mid-2000s and their WATV-Construct period, but in a good way. The track has a really solid groove throughout, and the transition from verse to chorus works really well. Nice solo too. Overall very recognisable as DT, even if you took the vocals out.

Johan's been a fan of the band since Skydancer, and given that he's been involved with the songwriting since he joined, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled in elements from the band's earlier eras. Could be mistaken but I thought he said in a recent interview that he particularly liked Damage Done.

Hot take but I think Stanne is the weakest link on this track (this was also true on Moment and, to a lesser extent, Atoma). Still good, but I don't find him the effective complement to the band's sound he once was.

I wouldn't say he is on DD either honestly as he's mostly just yelling and his voice is wrecked, but it's my favourite DT album so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as long as he sounds solid it isn't a problem for me.

I don't think Stanne has been an outstanding part of the music since the 90s (cleans aside, which are good albeit without much variation). His current vocals just fit DT's music like a glove. With DT it's often more about all components blending equally together in consistent quality. Solo aside it's not like the guitars are doing anything special in TLI either.

Reactions: Xpyro125
First listen impressions: it's pretty interesting.

Production is slightly switched up - guitars are slightly more upfront than on the last few albums, vocals are drenched in reverb but its not overwhelming - it might overstay its welcome when you are listening throughout the entire album but at least it's not dull and dry. It's also fairly uptempo for current era DT which is nice.

Listening to the chorus I can't help but feel like the song would've been tremendously improved with some staccato/tremolo guitar melody in the chorus, to give it a bit Damage Done/Character spice.

Reactions: Xpyro125 and mindd
Very nice. Has a bit of DD-Fiction vibes mixed with latest albums. Would've liked if they didn't follow the standard song structure all the time (for example, they could have ended this one with a long solo/melody fade out instead of going back to chorus) but I'm not complaining too much.

My expectations for the album just went up. Liked this one more than the last 3 THE singles.

Reactions: Xpyro125 and mindd
I'm not sure if that's a Korg that Brandstrom is playing in the intro and chorus, but it's probably my favorite part of the song. Just the perfect accent that brings it all together.

for example, they could have ended this one with a long solo/melody fade out instead of going back to chorus
thought the same thing, for some reason I almost always love endings like that
I was kinda feeling like they will do an Outlaw Torn-style ending and then they got back to chorus, eh

Everyone pretty much said what I felt, i think the only disagreement I have with what was said is that I’m definitely more partial to the THE singles— It’s not that I don’t love this, the groove of the verses and the Fiction-style chorus is right up my alley, but it’s just missing something. The DT lead single structure far and away holds it back more than anything else here to me, and I particularly agree with the two quotes below.

Listening to the chorus I can't help but feel like the song would've been tremendously improved with some staccato/tremolo guitar melody in the chorus, to give it a bit Damage Done/Character spice.

Very nice. Has a bit of DD-Fiction vibes mixed with latest albums. Would've liked if they didn't follow the standard song structure all the time (for example, they could have ended this one with a long solo/melody fade out instead of going back to chorus) but I'm not complaining too much.

I will say that the solo is decent, but just decent. It should’ve tapped more into that 80s sort of grandiosity that it has a bit of, maybe just go wild with it— The end of the solo in particular is seriously missing that, and it just felt like a disappointing case of musical edging. It would’ve been so fucking awesome for there to be a high note after it that carried into the chorus, maybe even for some more noodling afterwards. That’s just what I felt I could add to the discussion though, I do love the guitarwork otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: drawntoblack
I will say that the solo is decent, but just decent. It should’ve tapped more into that 80s sort of grandiosity that it has a bit of, maybe just go wild with it— The end of the solo in particular is seriously missing that, and it just felt like a disappointing case of musical edging. It would’ve been so fucking awesome for there to be a high note after it that carried into the chorus, maybe even for some more noodling afterwards. That’s just what I felt I could add to the discussion though, I do love the guitarwork otherwise.

Sadly they don't seem to be doing that kind of thing anymore.

DT songwriting in the last 10 years is some really interesting stuff from the band's perspective. Guitar players are the least involved, most of the music was written by Jivarp (ex drummer who left recently) and Brandstrom. So it's no wonder that everything after WaTV is very, very stripped down guitar-wise.
I personally can understand that decision because a lot of mdm guitar tropes are very cheesy and DT take their music too seriously to allow any of that in, but with this "less is more" approach they lost a lot of fierceness. This genre of music needs fast melodic riffs, once you take it out there is only so much you can do to tap-dance around it.

Metal isn't really in my steady rotation anymore, I don't listen to music in general daily like I used to. Looking back, after Fiction I realize that I end up eagerly awaiting every new album of theirs, I listen to it a lot for the next two months or so and then I move on. I might go back every now and then for the best songs but I rarely listen to their albums in entirety once I've went through that initial two months phase of giving it proper attention.
And it's not that the music is bad because it really isn't - but 60 minutes of mid-tempo doom and gloom that is essentially toothless is very fatiguing for me. I do enjoy the melancholy but it also needs aggression to balance things out. I'm not gonna make predictions based on one single, and I definitely want to hear a full album now but they should integrate a guitar player into writing music onward. And also definitely get another guitar player for live shows, you just can't be a melodic death metal band with a single guitar.

It is time we have our own DT thread on the IF forum.

New single The Last Imagination is out. (also attached to this post as mp3)

I liked that a lot.

I've listened to a lot more Dark Tranquility over the last year or so than I ever did before, especially since Days of the Lost came out and I wanted to see how much of their sound came from IF, and how much from DT. To be honest, while I've -quite- liked a lot of what I heard, it mostly washed over me, like, it was nice to listen to at the time, but it felt much more ambient than In Flames and lacked a melodic focal point to make it memorable. That song was the first that I've heard that I think I may come back to frequently.

I liked that a lot.

I've listened to a lot more Dark Tranquility over the last year or so than I ever did before, especially since Days of the Lost came out and I wanted to see how much of their sound came from IF, and how much from DT. To be honest, while I've -quite- liked a lot of what I heard, it mostly washed over me, like, it was nice to listen to at the time, but it felt much more ambient than In Flames and lacked a melodic focal point to make it memorable. That song was the first that I've heard that I think I may come back to frequently.

Do you mean all DT, or their more recent stuff specifically? Their early stuff is very much in line with the MDM scene of the period and there are a number of absolute classics on Of Chaos & Eternal Night and The Gallery. The Mind's I was a solid if slightly lesser follow up to The Gallery - Zodijackyl Light and Insanity's Crescendo are incredible.

Projector - a very experimental album for a band so early on in their career, with a burgeoning new scene they helped start developing around them. I neither like nor dislike Projector, it's just OK, but I appreciate the endeavour. Kind of ironic that they went from this earlier in their career to having a very distinct "DT sound" by this point. I guess time changes all of us in the end - and band members have come and gone too.

Then you've got Haven which I can't stand. Boring AF to me. Much like Projector it's a polarising album though, some do like it.

You then move on to the phase of their career that most people remember them for and know most fondly - Damage Done / Character / Fiction. Three top tier mid-2000s MDM albums which shed a lot of the earlier experimentation and just go hard as hell on delivering solid, killer metal with a couple of slower tracks here and there. A trio of wonderful albums and Damage Done remains one of my all-time favourites to this day.

After that you get the Industrial-DT period with We Are The Void (appropriate title) and Construct. This is where they lost me for a while. Very little interest in what they were doing during this time - although, again, I have to stress that the music they were attempting to create wasn't bad. As musicians they are too dedicated and talented to produce bad music. It just isn't music I care for.

Atoma - nice little album. More melody, increased tempo, more like the DT I was used to. Just not enough tracks that are truly memorable - solid but unspectacular, and you can say that for almost all DT output from Atoma onwards. Moment is different to Atoma but, for me at least, still suffers the same fate of being good without having anything truly spectacular that makes me want to come back to it very often. I get the feeling the new album will go the same way.

So yeah, to me it feels like DT have been quite varied throughout their career - early pure MDM stuff, weird experimental phase, mid-2000s MDM era, the pivot to an Industrial-ish sound, then present DT which is kind of like their mid-2000s era but not as good.

Man, I love Projector. To me, that album is a glowing example of a MDM band experimenting outside of their usual zone and doing it right. Songs like Freecard, ThereIn, Auctioned, The Sun Fired Blanks — excellent stuff. DT experimented earlier than In Flames did and did it much better imo. Haven, on the other hand, I don’t like as much. There are a few songs that I enjoy, but overall that one is a miss for me.

Dark Tranquillity is a band that I don’t get excited for new album releases for. It’s 50/50 whether or not I’m going to enjoy a new album from them. Sometimes it’s really good and other times, not at all. Atoma is one of their newer ones that I did genuinely enjoy, but then there’s stuff like Construct, We Are the Void and even Moment where I can probably give you a total of 2 songs from all of those albums combined that I actually enjoy. And to be honest, both of them come from We Are the Void. After Fiction, everything became very inconsistent. It feels like line-up changes have a lot to do with that.

All of that being said, I like The Last Imagination so that’s a good start. The mixing is a nice change. It feels more substantial than some of their other albums (note: the bad ones talked about above).

Reactions: drawntoblack
Projector is tied with Fiction for my personal favorite DT record. I know WATV was the first real chink in their armor according to some, but I honestly liked it a lot when it came out. It was Construct where they seriously faltered for me, though I appreciate the intention behind it (I often say Siren Charms was IF taking hammers to their sound and building something new from the pieces, and Construct was DT doing the same thing). They got back on track with Atoma, though their sound had been greatly changed in Construct's wake. Moment was good, albeit it feels like a second Haven in retrospect.

They've been past their prime for almost a decade and a half, but I'm just happy that they're still releasing new music.

I don't know what it is about Projector, but there's just a lot of stuff on there that doesn't vibe with me at all. I like ThereIn and Nether Novas. FreeCard is good. Auctioned is a nice track too. The rest, though... I wouldn't classify any of it as bad, just not for me.

On the other hand, I'm not sure there's a single track on Haven that I would choose to listen to. Feast of Burden from memory is alright, and Rundown is fine, I guess. I'm sure there's at least one other song I heard from that album somewhat recently and actually thought it was quite decent, but can't remember now exactly which one it was. I'm thinking Fabric or Ego Drama, but I'll need to relisten to those to confirm. Whatever song it was, it obviously didn't leave enough of an impression for me to recall it without relistening though.

The weird thing about Haven is that I think it has all the ingredients, there's just something there that just does not click with me. It's been a while since I listened to anything from it so tough to say now exactly what it is, but I know every time I've gone back and tried to give it a chance it's always been the same reaction.

Eh, Construct is probably my favorite DT album, certainly seems like an unpopular opinion here, haha

I would agree that Haven is their weakest album (even Sundin apparently thinks so), it's ok but it lacks something, maybe they overcorrected after Projector? Well, there still are a couple of nice songs (The Wonders at Your Feet is fun and still is their most played song; Fabric is also cool with a nice 30 seconds JRPG sounding section in the middle)

Projector is great, loved that one for sure, On Your Time is one of my favorites, FreeCard's intro and middle section seem to have a permanent living place inside my head. In retrospect, it's kinda funny to me how The Gallery/The Mind's I and Projector are so different but were made by the same lineup