Dark Tranquillity/Sinergy/Griffin - Live The Garage, London 18-11-02

gaz

Stargazer
Oct 15, 2002
Far Beyond The Galaxy
Visit site
My first time at the venue, was a little surprised at the small size of it. My estimation holds about 350 max, looked pretty full by the time the headliners came on.

Griffin
We missed most of their set, caught the final few songs, I don't really have an opinion on them, they were solid enough. They have 2 albums out, yet chose to play a cover of 'Crazy Train', when they have enough material of their own.
I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again, nor would I buy a CD of theirs.

Sinergy
The sound was pretty bad, Kim's vox was low in the mix, and you couldn't really hear the guitar wizardry of Alexi and Roope. They played songs from all 3 albums. Everything was very samey and not much variety in the set. Kim was enthusiastic and talked a lot between songs.
They seemed a strange choice as support, maybe something more in the style of Dark Tranquillity would have been more appropriate.

Dark Tranquillity
The sound was much louder for the headliners and a little clearer.
I sat behind the mixing desk, the sound guy was busy all night trying to find the right sound.
The small stage was well used, singer Mikael worked the crowd very well. He was a great front man, knows how to work an audience and jumped into the crowd a couple of times.
Sometime the guitars were a little buried in the mix and the drums a bit on the loud side.
The set was, of course, mainly made up from the current album, 'Damage Done', though most of their releases were covered.
The merchandise was all shirts and priced very cheap compared to what I've previously paid at concerts.

set list
1. the sun fired blanks
2. the treason wall
3. white noise/black silence
4. punish my heaven
5. haven
6. hedon
7. monochromatic stains
8. damage done
9. the wonders at your feet
10. insanity's crescendo
11. thereIn
12. hours passed in exile
13. indifferent suns
14. single part of two
15. not built to last
16. lethe
17. zodijackyl light
18. final resistance

All up a great performance from the headliners, I was not much of a fan before the show, I left very impressed.