DAVE GROHL Says New FOO FIGHTERS Song Was Inspired By NIRVANA's Demise

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
According to The Pulse Of Radio, FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl has told Studio Brussel in a new interview that a track on the band's upcoming "Sonic Highways" album and HBO series, called "Subterranean", was inspired by the end of his previous band, NIRVANA. Grohl explained that the first music he recorded under the FOO FIGHTERS banner after the death of NIRVANA frontman Kurt Cobain was done in the same studio where NIRVANA had recorded its last complete song.Grohl recalled: "I didn't want to make music any more after NIRVANA, then time went on and I thought wait a minute, music is the one thing that's going to help me start over, it's going to heal me, so that's what I have to keep doing. So I went back to that same studio, and recorded again, and my life started over again, so that becomes the theme of the episode, and that also becomes the theme of the song."That final NIRVANA song was called "You Know You're Right" and Grohl recalled the sessions. "We had some time off before a tour, and Kurt wanted to go in and demo some stuff, so I said, 'Hey, why don't we do it at this studio down the street from my house,'" he said. "And we went down there, and we had three days booked. Kurt came in the last day and we were like, 'Okay, what do you wanna do?' And Kurt said, 'Well, why don't we do that song we've been doing at soundcheck?' And so we rehearsed it, I think, once, and then recorded it. Kurt did three or four vocal takes, and that was it."The Seattle episode of the HBO documentary series on the making of the album, also called "Sonic Highways", will premiere on November 28.The "Sonic Highways" series follows the FOOs to eight different American cities, where they record a track for the album that's influenced by the local scene and musicians. The series premiered on October 17.The "Sonic Highways" album arrives on November 10.

More...