David Ellefson rejoins Megadeth

Mega.jpg

Fuck yeah, reminds me of when I was like 15 or something.

This is pretty cool news, but I've been having a really hard time trying to make Megadeth seriously over the last 5 or so years because I really don't like Dave Mustaine, and I convinced myself he stole Chris Broderick from Nevermore, rather than Broderick going to Megadeth by choice. :lol:

Still though, if this tour were to come to Australia I'd go in a heartbeat. I was only listening to some of the tunes off RIP the other day (for the first time in a long time) and I have to say I was really enjoying it.

I knew if something like this would happen it would be out of the blue and unexpected.

Wait and see for a couple of days to see if this news sticks and Mustaine hasn't changed his mind again.

Thats not too hard :)

Yeah, I know...but it's still got tougher parts than RIP/Polaris.

All of that aside...whether it's a bitch to rhythm any of those songs out or not, the fucking solos Marty pulled off on that album are not only 100% tasteful, but fuckin nearly impossible to play. Such a unique guitarist. Even if you can sorta play his stuff, he's got that phrasing that makes what he does just so much better....and he plays with his picking hand all turned upward like he has a muscular disorder or something, it's always bothered me how he picks. Fucker shreds though!

Yeah, I know...but it's still got tougher parts than RIP/Polaris.

All of that aside...whether it's a bitch to rhythm any of those songs out or not, the fucking solos Marty pulled off on that album are not only 100% tasteful, but fuckin nearly impossible to play. Such a unique guitarist. Even if you can sorta play his stuff, he's got that phrasing that makes what he does just so much better....and he plays with his picking hand all turned upward like he has a muscular disorder or something, it's always bothered me how he picks. Fucker shreds though!

1000% true and yeah, that right hand positioning always kinda weirded me out ... Schuldiner used to hold his pick kinda like that too if I remember

Ellefson's comments - http://www.bravewords.com/news/131973

“It literally happened over the weekend,” says the delighted bassist. “And I can hardly believe it myself. There was clearly gonna be a change in the line-up, because James Lomenzo was leaving. Dave (Mustaine) and I talked on the phone, and all the feuds, all the arguments we’ve been having over the years just melted away. It just goes to show what direct contact can achieve!”

According to Ellefson, it was drummer Shawn Drover who instigated the whole thing.

“If you ever need a guy in a band to watch your back, then this is the man. Obviously, I have no clue what happened within the band. But I got a text from Shawn and it just said: ‘If ever there was a time for you and Dave to talk, now is it.’ It’s one of those messages you act on immediately. Typically of Megadeth, things then happened big and fast.

“In all honesty, talking to Dave again was wonderful. It was the right thing at the right time, done in the right spirit.”

This is what I'm weary about. Internal differences, or just LoMenzo going back to BLS now that Zakk's not touring with Ozzy anymore?

All the same I'd like to see Menza come back more than Friedman. It seems that Marty is content writing J-pop so let him be, not to mention that Chris is very capable of playing Marty's solos.

The real issue is what is really going on here. Is it really forgiveness, or is it the money talking to both of them (after Junior lost the lawsuit, and Dave's "big 2" tour blew up)?

http://www.bravewords.com/news/132049 - Dave Mustaine:

“First, I wanna say thank you to James Lomenzo for his years of faithful and consistent service to Megadeth and to me and to the fans.

James, I love you, and I wish you well in everything that you do.

Now, the most exciting thing I’ve had to say for quite some time…

Like I said at our website, I had a huge announcement to make… It’s David Ellefson returning back to his home, to his roots, to where his partner has been waiting to one day jam with him again, and that wait for me is now over.

We rehearsed and it sounded great. Dave even played on the new track that we recorded for this new project that’s coming up - I’ll be making an announcement soon about what that is. And it just sounded great. He looked great.

We did a photo shoot.

We just had an absolutely wonderful time together, and we just knew it was right.

I don’t know how long this is gonna last - I hope it’s permanent. If it’s just for the Rust In Peace tour I wanna thank David for committing to do this. And I wanna encourage all of you fans, go get your tickets now, because if you miss this, you may never see it again.

I don’t know… you may be the kind of person that’s gonna be able to sit around when you’re 70 and say: ‘Yeah, well, I missed Megadeth twice with David Ellefson.’ That’s OK. I’m not that kind of person. But that’s what makes the world go around.

I hope you take my lead today and you go and spend some time alone reflecting on people that you may need to forgive or that you may need their forgiveness, and see what happens, man.

I feel so great, and I know so many of you feel great, too. And this is all because I was willing to take my hat in my hand and talk with my brother and to work things out.”

http://www.bravewords.com/news/132035 - James Lomenzo

"Friends, my heart is full with your kindness and well wishes. This is the richest part of my years with the mighty Megadeth. I'm truly excited about the two Daves getting back together. I think it will be great for Megadeth fans. Anyone who knows me, knows I love doing all kinds of things musically and other wise so I'm excited for what's ahead and very grateful for all the great music, fantastic shows and the many friends and fans I've come to know over the past four years. Stay tuned and I'll let you know what's next when it's next!"