DC Cooper - am I missing something?

Smc316

Resident
Sep 20, 2014
So I was a bit bummed when Dragonland wasn't the Thursday headliner, but you know what, that's fine - i've heard DC Cooper's name thrown around a bunch and apparently he's a big deal and all that. So cool, time to get into DC Cooper I thought!

But then I saw this: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/D.C._Cooper/7367

He only has one solo album, and it's from 1999...?

Even if he plays it in entirety and draws songs out with improv jams or whatever, I can't imagine that would much longer than 70 minutes.

What exactly is it that he does live? What should I listen to in preparation for his set? And how does he have so much critical acclaim attached to his name if he only has one album, or is that all because of Royal Hunt?

Thanks! :loco:

4 Silent Force albums, and Amaran's Plight as well. Plus all of the Royal Hunt that won't be played on Saturday.

Never listened to Silent Force or the DC Cooper album. What should I start with?

I think it is a combination of all those elements..... DC has an AMAZING voice, and has had the fortune to be involved in several projects that were VERY well received amongst the prog community.

Royal Hunt's "Paradox" is really what brought him to the spotlight, as it is one of the most seminal albums of that era..... After that, he released his solo album, which (again) was a masterpiece, albeit in a different sense than Paradox. Very smooth, VERY melodic, and every single song on it shines. The first couple of albums with Silent Force, while fairly straightforward musically, were also very well received again in large part due to his voice.

Maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things, but he just really stood out in a fairly young, blooming genre. I assume he is doing material across all his recordings, so should be a VERY enjoyable show.

Never listened to Silent Force or the DC Cooper album. What should I start with?

Solo album!!!!

Silent Force's "Infatuator" is probably my favorite of the DC era, but they are all solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be prepared for an amazing show! DC will be playing material off his solo release plus other deep cuts from his career with other bands PLUS brand new material he has been working on. It will be a full-length set.

DC is the kind of artist that has so much to choose from, he could play the whole night and not cover it all. I cannot post anything specifically about it right now but trust me, it is going to be an amazing set.

Start with the solo album and work your way forward. And prepare to be amazed.

Definitely check out the solo album. It's one of my all-time favorites, and has a pretty stellar array of musicians on it. My favorite Silent Force disc is Walk the Earth. Beyond that, I'd love to hear some Royal Hunt tunes from Moving Target and maybe even before, like "Clown in the Mirror" or "Land of Broken Hearts."

Thanks everyone! I got a full year to check out Royal Hunt and everything else this guy has done, so hopefully i'll be a fan by next September! :D

Also RE Dragonland getting 90 minutes, that is WONDERFUL news. If I was torn before about whether or not to get Thursday tickets, now i'm not. :)

Rumor has it that DC and his new solo band are working on a new album, so I expect that to be out between now and next year. My guess is that they will use material from that for the show in addition to the material from other bands that DC has been involved with.

I just hope it's a him with a full "electric" band. While acoustic DC Cooper is cool, more than 20 minutes would be a big let down. Especially after the two power metal bands before his set.

The last time he played at the Pre-show it was embarrassing how unprepared he and the band were. It was strictly acoustic and disappointing. So many great songs and it all sounded bad on that night. I love DC and his voice but like any rock artist, he needs some diversity in his music and performance.