Dead Man In Reno - Self-Titled

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Dead Man In Reno - Dead Man In Reno
Candlelight Records - CD ABT041 - 09/05/06
By Brandon Strader

DeadManInReno.jpg

It is with great sorrow that I inform you of the news. Apparently, the man in reno is dead, and there was nothing we could do to help him. George Clooney was there, the whole cast of ER and the whole cast of Scrubs, but he couldn't be saved... in fact, they might have made it worse. Welcome Dead Man In Reno with their debut selt-titled album on Abstract Sounds (an imprint of Candlelight Records). I'm sure everyone would love to bash these up-and-coming hardcore folks, but after listening to their debut, the only bashing we're thinking of is that of the double bass amongst the "so fast it's scratchy" rhythm section!

Sure, call this the most contradictory review of all time... Realize, however, that Dead Man In Reno succeeds where many other more recent groups have failed. Of course the music leans on the hardcore elements and breakdowns like a crutch, but that crutch is made of solid-gold and it is autographed by Satan. The music is laced with dual guitar harmonies that soar freely when the breakdowns aren't present, a precise percussive performance (though the complexity basically lies in the double bass), and the vocalist's distortion covered incoherent screams, and lower growl vocals. The songs aren't as memorable as some of the other popular hardcore bands who have sold their soul, and it may not be as heavy or a constant display of breakdowns like Bury Your Dead, but it's somewhere in the middle and that's what makes it great, isn't it?

Great may be a bit too strong of a word. Yes, it's good but it isn't anything too spectacular or challenging for the listener to comprehend. It's a good guitar-oriented display of aggression by some youthful musicians who take their band very, very seriously. Possibly the most outstanding moment on the album is the guitar sweeping and melodic solos at the end of "She's Tugging On My Heartstrings", and the acoustic interlude, "Given A Season Of Sun", is pretty awesome as well. Definitely worth checking out if you are a hardcore fan, you will love this.

7.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official Dead Man In Reno Website
Official Candlelight USA Website