When There's No Room In Hell - Self-Titled

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
When There's No Room In Hell - Self-Titled
gomek.com - 012 - 2005
By Brandon Strader

WhenTheresNoRoomInHell.jpg

When there's no room in hell, the dead will walk Gomekkistan. Well, the band's name is long enough, let's just call them WTNRIH. These guys play a strange blend of hardcore, with their vocalist sounding like Randy Blythe (LoG) at times, other times like Howard Jones (KsE), and still with a small bit of his own sound as well. The only problem is that the music sounds like the applied a good bit of distortion overtop of the whole song after it was done, so the vocals are smothered, guitars more distorted than usual, and the drums have a very narrow sound, possibly programmed. Perhaps the bad sound quality is due to not having a decent vocal microphone, or maybe they intentionally smothered everything in distortion. All I know is, for hardcore, that's pretty different...

This little demo has 4 songs for a total of 11 minutes, and displays a band with good potential. Whether they choose to go the distorted way or a more cleaner sound in the future, it doesn't really matter because the songwriting and performances hidden beneath the distortion are very good. The vocalist is very versatile, and although the music is not too fast-paced, the guitarists play some mean riffs and leads. They also pull some bombastic hardcore breakdowns out of their butts. The Cradle of Filth influence is also pretty obvious at times, like the verse in "Bloodstained Faces" and the blastbeat-smothered sections of "I'm Still Pondering My Love Of The Darkness", and of course, with the long corny song title. When you listen to WTNRIH for a while, you stop noticing the distortion so much, and it is actually a good listen, so check it out and keep an eye on these fellows for the future!

7.5/10

UM's Review Rating Scale

Official When Theres No Room In Hell Website
Official Gomek Website