circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Grayceon – Self-Titled
Vendlus Records – Vend021 – February 14th, 2007
By Jason Jordan

grayceonst.gif

Judging by the bands on their roster, Vendlus is an unpredictable label that places no boundaries on which subgenres they choose to put out. In this particular case we have Grayceon – a trio consisting of Jackie Perez Gratz (Amber Asylum, Giant Squid) on electric cello, Doyle (Walken) on guitar, and Farwell (Walken) on drums. Perhaps needless to say because of the cello’s presence, Self-Titled is in line with Apocalyptica’s records but may just be superior to them, if only because of the fine interplay between the very different instruments.

While a sizeable chunk of Grayceon’s music is soothing – due in part to the silky smooth male and female vocals, with occasional exceptions – the recording still retains a metal edge that will interest even the staunchest headbanger. Well maybe not, but Self-Titled is heavy for what it is. Some of the 45 minutes is instrumental, though “Sounds Like Thunder” includes a liberal amount of vocals and “Song for You” has a fair share, too. The 13-minute “Into the Deep” and 20-minute “Ride” are rousing numbers, both of which benefit greatly from the amplified cello. There’s not a clear weak point, especially since the music traverses all types of terrain through all types of weather – from serene to stormy and everything in between.

Overall, this is a convincing and tasteful highbrow effort from a promising unit. Self-Titled delivers the goods, though I can’t see myself reaching for it all that often. I suppose much of the replay value rests upon mood and circumstance, as it does for just about anything, but I’m sure this will work itself into my player now and again. Grayceon come across as more genuine than Apocalyptica, too, for what it’s worth.

Official Grayceon Website
Official Vendlus Records Website

Enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would, mostly because it rocked more than I thought it would! Very unusual sound, hard to compare to anything else.