Grayceon

Eminor

Oct 31, 2005
Seems like a band that would be appreciated by some of the RC faithful. Just put out an album on Vendlus. I've yet to pick it up, but it's getting some very good press. Here's their page at Vendlus:
http://www.vendlus.com/artists/grayceon/

A couple reviews:
Metal Review: http://metalreview.com/3355/Grayceon-Self-Titled.aspx
In my recent review of Swedish prog rock act Wolverine, I bemoaned the state of so-called progressive rock. To abbreviate the argument, I feel that prog rock has lost touch with its goals; instead of actually progressing, most of the genre’s practitioners are content to rehash past explorations. But if Wolverine are a typically stagnant prog band, San Francisco’s Grayceon are the real deal. This self-titled debut is as legitimately progressive as they come these days, not to mention as meticulously detailed and beautifully crafted as anything I’ve heard so far this year.

Grayceon is a composite group of sorts. Featuring Max Doyle (guitars) and Zack Farwell (drums) of excellent San Fran thrashers Walken, the band’s lineup is rounded out by one Jackie Perez Gratz on cello and vocals. Gratz is a veteran of long-running Relapse act Amber Asylum as well as a new member of the up-and-coming Giant Squid, not to mention a contributor to albums by the likes of Today is the Day and Neurosis, so you could say she’s something of a genre-buster veteran. It certainly comes out in Grayceon’s songwriting; this trio’s sound is immediately distinct and unusual. Spanning 45 minutes with just four songs, Grayceon is a sprawling journey through the minds of three musicians who seem bent on both pushing boundaries and expressing as many different emotions as possible along the way.

Though perhaps ‘songs’ isn’t really the right term. Firstly, only the fiercely brief “Song For You” resembles a normal song in terms of dimensions; the rest are far more elaborate and dynamic than traditional rock or metal songs. Secondly, there’s not much singing going on. Though Gratz injects ethereal vocal lines occasionally and sometimes conducts hair-raising harmonies with Doyle, the vast weight of these compositions rests on the instrumentation, and some fuckin’ instrumentation it is, too. Somewhat neoclassical (and not in the Yngwie sense) in both melodic feel and structure, these tracks are stunningly elegant and tasteful examples of cooperative musicianship. The most immediately obvious point of comparison is Apocalyptica, though far more textured and melodically diverse. Though Gratz’s cello lines are both rhythmic and eloquent, the real star of the show is Max Doyle’s guitar work. Using an unusual finger-picked style and an arsenal of trebly, low-gain tones, Doyle employs a seemingly endless vocabulary of chords to generate an incredibly broad spectrum of moods, from folky to progressive to…thrash riffs and borrowed Fleetwood Mac bits? Sure is strange, but it sounds impressively organic anyway. The two instruments dodge and twist through a maze of lead and rhythm segments that, while initially overwhelming, are frequently quite beautiful. Driving the clouds of harmony is the rollicking, powerful single-peddle drumming of Zack Farwell. Though his roll-heavy bombast seems out of place at first, it lends reams of urgency to the otherwise somewhat ponderous music. A sparse but booming production emphasizes both the intimacy of the drum-free moments and the heft of Grayceon’s more intense passages.

It’s obviously somewhat difficult to capture Grayceon’s sound on paper, but trust me: this album is a treasure trove for those with a taste for the unusual and enough patience to tolerate long, multi-segment songs. Honestly, the heartbreakingly mournful ending of “Sounds Like Thunder” and the four minutes of riff brilliance that constitute the final third of “Into The Deep” are worth the price of this disc alone. Grayceon have released an inventive and vivid debut that easily bests most metal released this year. Looks like Vendlus Records has gotten another good start in 2007. Highly recommended.

DigitalMetal: http://digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=8017

Damn, now there's a sold!-inducing review for someone who gravitates towards that kind of avant-metal (and thought Giant Squid's debut was excellent)...heard some tracks after stumbling upon them recently, very fascinating and bizarre shit.

I need to check this out....if only because they're supporting Giant Squid on tour.

By the way, I agree about the Wolverine thing...their last album sucked ass. It wasn't anything I hoped for, even though they said it was going to be a return to their darker metal roots.

I'm pretty sure that the Vendlus label is alive and well... a little birdie told me that they signed Smohalla to record a new album for them. I wonder if Wolves in the Throne Room will release any more stuff through them now that they are on Southern Lord?????

Oh.. and I'm very happy to see some Giant Squid fans. Back before they were signed to The End they supposedly released an album called Monster in the Creek. I've always wondered what it sounded like, but there seems to be no mention of it anymore. Has anyone heard the demo version of Metridium Fields. I'm kind of partial to it.. I think it sounds better than the new version.

I'm pretty sure that the Vendlus label is alive and well... a little birdie told me that they signed Smohalla to record a new album for them. I wonder if Wolves in the Throne Room will release any more stuff through them now that they are on Southern Lord?????

To my knowledge, they are still around. I heard the same about Smohalla. They are doing something with God Is Myth, as well. I'm not sure if Vendlus is releasing the vinyl version or if it is a different release all together.

On a sad, slightly related note, I had the chance to work with Smohalla...but didn't have the funds at the time. Damn 5 year old medical bills that come out of nowhere to hell!!! :cry:

I was at the Vendlus site just yesterday -- both label and store are still up and running.

That aside, based on the samples at Vendlus, this Grayceon music doesn't work for me at all. This is background beer time for when I'm waiting for the Giant Squid to arrive.