circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Year of Desolation – Self-Titled
Prosthetic Records – 6561910041-2 – January 23rd, 2007
By Jason Jordan

yofdyofd.jpg

“When a band calls Indiana home, it’s already got hurdles to climb. With a state best known for car racing, and cornstalks as its stomping grounds, Year of Desolation is one of those bands that just has to let their music do the talking for them.”

:lol:

Yes, when I’m not working on my Indy 500 racecar, harvesting corn, and practicing basketball in hopes of acquiring a position with I.U., even though I’ve graduated college already, I listen to metal. But aside from the activities that are associated with my home state, Indianapolis has been an outlet for many a metal band.

Year of Desolation plays a promising blend of death metal, metalcore, and neo-thrash, and the fact that YoD call Prosthetic their home will only work in their favor as the label’s output predominantly ranges from mid (The Acacia Strain, Cannae, Through the Eyes of the Dead, etc.) to high-grade (Beneath the Massacre, Gojira, Kylesa, Yakuza, etc.). While Self-Titled is a solid sophomore effort, it also falls closer to the mid-grade as opposed to the superior alternative. The opening number ‘Elitist Death Squad’ sets the tone and flings said genres at the listener with little regard for his/her well-being. In other words, it’s pretty brutal, though the follow-up ‘Running the Gauntlet’ is more melodic. ‘Suffer Thy Nemesis’ is even more so, and generally I prefer Year of Desolation when they’re at their heaviest, which, considering the amount of songs and the disc’s overall length, is more often than one might think. ‘The Economy of Excess’ simply crushes – the background leads are an excellent touch – as does ‘Forged in the Flames of Malcontent,’ and it’s tough to avoid being roused when growls of “I’ll break your fucking neck” sound off repeatedly at the end of ‘Gorge.’ At 70 minutes, this is a long record, too, despite the silence between closer ‘All in Vain’ and the “secret” track.

Year of Desolation aren’t required listening, of course – there’s nothing spectacular here – but a release like this starts the, uh, year off right for Prosthetic. If you’re waiting for something truly crippling, however, then it may be in your best interest to continue biding time until Beneath the Massacre unleash Mechanics of Dysfunction. Otherwise, feel free to sample my fellow Hoosiers’ work.

Official Year of Desolation Website
Official Prosthetic Records Website