Death Angel

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Not that I never heard them before...just didn't paid attention. I always have been a late metalhead. I start too late for my age and I have been discovering bands long after they have gone or loose magic.
For years the closest I was to thrash was Metallica, Megadeth and Metal Church. Testament, Kreator, Coroner, Death Angel, Pariah came too late into my life and I'm still discovering stuff.

So the complete Death Angel was made in the last year or so, which was good because it came with the release of their new album so in a sense I never had the gap old thrashers had waiting for it. :D Again I didn't got them in due order but I'm gonna to present them here as it should.

"The Ultra-Violence": well fing young Philipino cousins decide to carry on like so many Bay-area bands on the day (hey the drummer was even underage). Nevertheless the debut (which hard fans still long for) was a fine specimen in the sub-genre. From the opening anthem 'Thrashers' to the amazing instrumental 'The Ultra-Violence' (10:32 no shit o_O ), the album was all thrash is about especially the one that came form the West coast of USA.

"Frolic Through The Park": what we can call (as for my other tread) the Armored Saint effect. Great debut, bad follow-up. Why some bands burn all their fuel in the debut and then get off on the next? Beats me. Not that FTTP doesn't have its moments, '3rd Floor', 'Confused', 'Shores Of Sin' deliver, but the rest especially the cover of KISS 'Cold Gin' (why KISS, why? my apologies to their fans but for me few songs are worthy to be heard much less covered). In any case FTTP failed to be thrash as can be.

"Act III": one up and one to the side. The album is better than its predecessor, but is not the debut. The band decided to left the blueprint of standard thrash band an begun to experiment with different arrangements and sounds (which probably pissed all hard fans). Since was the first DA I ever heard it stil have a special place in my heart. 'Seemingly Endless Time', 'Dicsontinued', 'A Room With A View', 'Stagnant' are good songs, good metal and the album works for me. Also is present 'The Organization' a song which became the moniker of the band after Osegueda (singer) left the band and they continued as a funk outfit (I have both album by The "O" and are interesting but not even worth to have in any collection, I got them cheap and I'm not going to cover them here).

"The Art Of Dying": 2004 came (14 years!) and the band minus Gus Pepa (replaced by Ted Aguilar) hoint to deliver a new DA album. The album came with lots of expectations and lots of bad rep as soon as hit the stores. Maybe because I was expecting shit is why i'm so fascinated whit the new album. No, is not the debut (hence the hate of hard fans), is not FTTP either or The "O" albums in a sense is a natural progression of "Act III". The problem of the album is inconsistence. Four songs shouldn't be there, 'The Devil Incarnate' and 'Famine' which are not enterily thrash, nor funk (I don't like much weird mixtures), and 'Never Me' and 'Word To The Wise' which are weak compared to the rest (reminds me of Anthrax early John Bush stuff). The rest of the album shines, 'Thrown To the Wolves', 'Thicker Than Blood', 'No' and 'Spirit' (the latter two my faves) are pure uncompromised speed metal, and the album worth just for them.
If you read the inspiration part of the bboklet you'll undertans than this band refuses any longer to be cast as single-minded, one-track metalheads. Good or bad, I do respect them and I do like the album.

The first couple of times I heard The Art Of Dying I didn't like it at all, but for some reason I pulled it back out and got hooked on it. Listened to it in the car all for a solid week last week.

I have only heard Act III and one song off the new album ..... I like em, not the best but by far not he worst band out there! I remember a video the O did back in like '94 or something I wasnt impressed hahahahha

Wyvern said:
"Act III": one up and one to the side. The album is better than its predecessor, but is not the debut. The band decided to left the blueprint of standard thrash band an begun to experiment with different arrangements and sounds (which probably pissed all hard fans). Since was the first DA I ever heard it stil have a special place in my heart. 'Seemingly Endless Time', 'Dicsontinued', 'A Room With A View', 'Stagnant' are good songs, good metal and the album works for me. Also is present 'The Organization' a song which became the moniker of the band after Osegueda (singer) left the band and they continued as a funk outfit (I have both album by The "O" and are interesting but not even worth to have in any collection, I got them cheap and I'm not going to cover them here).
Back when Act III came out I was into "heavy !" An acoustic song ? Death Angel ? I absolutely loved it though. I loved Act III and they showed when they get diverse they are at their strength.

Bryant

I like their latest album. But I after their fantastic first one I forgot about them. Thats why I am happy with their strong comeback. They are are still trying to find the middle between thrash metal and more melodic rock.

Love Thrash and LOVE Death Angel! I liked the new album as soon as I heard it. My favorite song is The 'Devil Incarnate'.

Like I said I'm very pleased with their comeback. Maybe because I got all DA and The "O" albums in a few months period and so I wasn't living on long memories and I could compare easily their old and new material. As for a favorite song is till a tie between 'No' and 'Spirit'

thrown to the wolves sounds like an f'n 80's classic!
and the best track on the new album, that is the only part that I disagree with you wyvern, other than that, your discography review is 100% correct

Fangface said:
I've just listened to "The Art of Dying"....mmm I'll have to let it grow on me I think, I don't know what to say about it right now.

I was the same way. I didn't like it much at first but after a few more listens it grew on me.

The record is starting to grow on me, even "The Devil Incarnate" which is anything but a thrash song. They even played it this week end in Balingen (Bang Your Head festival), the setlist was totally different from the last tour.