Death, Sound of Perserverance

MindInsane

From the vastly deep
Jun 17, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I've been listening to this album for a few days now (I just got it back out..because I wore it out when I bought it) and I was just wondering if anyone else thinks it is as incredible as I do?? The music on this cd is so intricate..pure songwriting genius!

Richard Christy is an absolute God on the drums! I could listen to him for days without getting bored..

I know this is a little off of the Testament subject..just thought it would be an interesting topic.

This is the only Death I own...and I was wondering what I should get next? Is all of it like Perserverance?

Thanks!

It's a good album but that is my least favorite DEATH cd. My favorites would be "Human" , "Symbolic" , "Spritual Healing" and "Individual Thought Patterns". Leprocy is pretty good too. But if you had to pick one to get next I would go with HUMAN. Not only is Steve D playing on it (which kicks ass) but you have the CYNIC guys playing on it too , which both the drummer and guitarist RIP!!! Go get HUMAN and let me know what you think. Death has always been one of my favorite bands......

Death is an awesome band... they started out as death metal, but went into a very progressive style. I've only heard Symbolic, and a few other songs. But I can vouch that Symbolic has some damn good music on it. And I've heard Human is their best cd from many ppl.

My personal favorite is Spiritual Healing. It has the great James Murphy playing guitar on it. I could listen to him play all day. If you liked LOW from TESTAMENT then I think you will like Spiritual Healing (from the murphy guitar standpoint).

Death rule! Well, If you like TSOP so get Human and/or Symbolic next.
Individual Thought Patterns is also cool, as Leprosy and Spiritual Healing, wich are less progressive than the mentioned above but Death Metal.
And the Debut, Scream Bloody Gore, is cool raw Death Metal with Splatter lyrics (I love all my Death Albums..) and, btw, one of the formative Albums for the subgenre we today call Death Metal.

Mindinsane........
Death is a fantastic band, the albuns are all different, and all very good
If you like the Raw Old School Death Metal, you should get their first albuns, Scream Bloody Gore, Leprosy, or Spiritual Healing (This one has an incredible technique....Technique Death Metal:) )
If you are looking for more technique, try Human.....one of My Favourites.........
Individual Though Patterns is one of their best, listen do the Drums.......Gene Hoglan is a very good drummer too.....it's fantastic.
Now, I really recommend you, get Symbolic, it's definately my favourite one......it's amazing, the songs are fantastic, I'm pretty sure that you will like it, but none of the albuns sound like The Sound Of Perseverance, are all different.
Hope I helped

Wow..thanks guys! Sounds like all of them are a must..I like both styles mentioned...old school death metal and progressive...progressive probably being my fav. I love all the crazy tempo changes and the sic fills done by Christy! KILLER SHIT!!! :headbang:

All of Death's albums are great, but I think Human, Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic are probably the best.
Leprosy is killer and my alltime favorite. Its as brutal as Scream Bloody Gore, but with much better song writing. Spiritual Healing was "ok" Its my least favorite Death album. Chuck knew where he wanted to take the band but wasnt quite the songwriter he became with Human and everything after that.
Anyway, pick up everything.

I don't like Death at all (mostly because of the vocals) except 2 instrumentals which are Cosmic Sea & Voice Of The Soul. Control Denied is much better. If Chuck was still alive I'd rather see him continuing Control Denied rather than Death. I appreciate the fact that he started Control Denied to make the heavy music accessible to more ppl.