Death SS - The 7th Seal

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Death SS - The 7th Seal
Regain Records - RR 108 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

DeathSS-The7thSeal.jpg

These guys must have found out somehow that there was a group called Death already, so they popped up a couple S's on there for good measure. There was a band called Death before? Hmmm... you know, any band playing death or black metal should know of the existence of Death, so I will just assume these guys named themselves in tribute to Death, may Chuck rest in peace.

The 7th Seal begins with some tambourine hits, some timpanis, and a reversed spoken dialogue smothered with reverb. A pounding powerchord enters, and eventually the song evolves into a work-out tape influenced gay romp through the woods. It evolves even further into the corniest, most horrible modern heavy metal you could ever expect to hear. Think Iron Maiden fused with The Village People. There is a bunch of layered group yelling / chanting, but the main vocalists sound like a normal guy trying to pull off heavy metal vocals. It's very sad indeed, and not even the impressive guitar solos could save The 7th Seal from that cobweb-stuffed area of your CD collection.

These guys tried to pull off the black metal look but instead they look like spacemen, and combined with the corniness and simplicity of the music, they really look like fools! If your idea of fun is single power-chord chorus progressions and equally simple verses, then Death SS is for you. The orchestration on the second song, 'Venus Gliph', is kind of impressive but it sounds too good to be keyboards... possibly programmed, or some kind of samples. Does a keyboard exist with such good sound? Hmmm.... Yeah I'm gonna stick with my above statements.

In conclusion, the music is overly produced yet too over-simplified which is always a very horrible combination. It's like an all old man version of Evanescence but these guys inevitably manage to suck even more than Evanescence, what the heck! Who would have ever thought such a feat possible! Ahhh, now that you mention it, I think that's a real orchestra. The song ends with the orchestra by itself. Well, when you're making radio heavy metal crud like this, I guess you can afford to spend a little extra and get an orchestra to play throughout your album. Recommended to fans of crap!

4/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Death SS Website
Official Regain Records Website

Oinkness said:
Death SS - The 7th Seal
Regain Records - RR 108 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

First at all, you ought to enquire before to say a lot of crap!
DEATH SS was formed in 1977, many years before Mr. Chuck start to play with his guitar....

DEATH SS NEVER played "Black Metal"!!!!
They also were the FIRST all over the world to be dressed into a full horror-style...!!! You could love or hate their music but you had to know that they are a great cult band RESPECTED everywhere and they also have some tribute-albums dedicated to them...

If you compare them with "Village People" or "Evanescence" this simple show that you haven't listen this GREAT album and that you don't understand a cock.....!!!

Have you listened to the album, sir? Then surely you must agree... :(

I just said they tried to pull off a black metal look, not that they -currently- played black metal.

I must say, understanding cocks is becoming a big deal these days. I might major in it ;)

Good review Brandon, made me laugh :) I would have to agree with the score, although I would've given a little lower.

Yeah, well since I am a man myself, I must say I do understand pretty well the functions and structure of a cock, as I've been using one for almost 19 years already. I also know the function of a rooster. I don't, however, know the function of a vagina. :( I'm sooo lonely... :(