Death - The sound of perseverance

simonc2

Serenity Painted Death
Jul 30, 2002
Tasmania, Australia
Visit site
I'ts very difficult to find words to describe this album, I thought about: mind-blowing, Incredible and amazing. But these words simply don't do it justice, I've come to the conclusion after many listens that it's simply my favourite Thrash metal album ever. It's quite different to Symbolic, mainly because of its added complexity and the progressive nature of the songs, Chucks voice is even better aswell. It's the kind of album that may not seem that amazing to begin with but gets better and better with each listen. To start with my favourite track was Bite the Pain because its a little more straight forward and shorter than the others and it has an awsome guitar solo. After a few listens I REALLY started getting into the more lengthy and complex tracks: Story to tell, The flesh the power and it holds, Spirit crusher, and Scavenger of human sorrow. The last track is an awsome Judas Priest cover of Pain Killer, Chucks vocals on this track are amazing, it sounds like his voice combined with a power metal singers voice. The drumming, guitar work, and base playing is also incredible, I believe this album has the best guitar solos from any death album. Unlike many bands like Slayer or Pantera, Chuck had the ability to consistantly write better and better albums every time. This album is surely gonna stand the test of time and be remembered as one of the greatest metal releases ever among TRUE METAL FANS. The only problem I have with The sound of perseverance is that being there last album it reminds me of his passing away and that there won't be any more albums by him. I can't imagine what they would have done on the next album if Chuck was still alive.
10/10
R.I.P Chuck Shuldina

Of course every Death album rules and Chuck was always ahead of the trends and not a follower. The production on this album and musicianship is about flawless. I'm not sure the songs are quite as strong as on Symbolic, but its a brilliant death metal album that kills the competition once again. Actually, when it comes to death metal, no one was really in competition with Death because everyone was always below them in some way.

brilliant album, and definately inspiring on just about every level. the guitar tones are absofuckinlutely amazing. it sounds as if every guitar track was layered, yet one can still pick out individual notes, whether they were played blazingly fast or as fat chunky chords. I want THAT guitar tone, more than any other.
the mixing on this album, as someone just pointed out, is flawless, and I think its because everything is so CLEAN. like you could hear a pin drop in that studio.
this cd was made to rattle windows.

Originally posted by Smekermann

Unlike Metamorphosis! Metamorphosis fucking RULEZ MAN!!! It contains ULVER'S BEST EVER SONGS OMG IM GONNA CUM IF I HEAR THAT ALBUM ONE MORE TIME

As I said before it's Ulver's fourth best release. And while Metamorphosis doesn't contain any useless technical wankery, it contains a useless nine minute ambient piece.

NP: Dismember - Enslavement of Bitterness

Spirit Crusher is such an awesome song, I dont see many people talking about it, but it is so awesome. In my opinion its the best Death song, but the only other one I have is The Philosopher, heh.

Yeah, both Symbolic and The Sound of Perserverance are spectacular. After that you should get the other 5 Death albums all of which are classics and better then most anything coming out today. As raw as the debut Scream Bloody Gore may be its still semi-technical and brutal as can be.

Originally posted by thespectralsorrows
Yeah, both Symbolic and The Sound of Perserverance are spectacular. After that you should get the other 5 Death albums all of which are classics and better then most anything coming out today. As raw as the debut Scream Bloody Gore may be its still semi-technical and brutal as can be.
Then you should get Control Denied 's debut album. Technically excellent with a melodic vocalist ... Just Killer:)

The Sound of Perseverance is the best Death album ever. Chuck demonstrate why is named Godfather of the Death Metal

Definitely crushes all. I think the first time you listen to it, it almost destroys you because it's so complex. But if you have the ear for the most beautiful, talented, melodic yet aggressive music ever created, you'll love it. I know I do. Death forever!