Death Tribute CD With James Murphy

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
Ex-DEATH, MALEVOLENT CREATION Members Get Green Light To Record DEATH Tribute CD

Former DEATH/TESTAMENT guitarist James Murphy, ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION/SUFFOCATION drummer Dave Culross, ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION vocalist Brett Hoffmann and CKY guitarist Deron Miller are going ahead with their previously announced plans to record a DEATH tribute CD to benefit Murphy and the family of late DEATH frontman Chuck Schuldiner. "James Murphy got the OK from [Chuck's sister] Bethann Schuldiner to proceed, as we did not want to do this unless we had her blessing and permission," Miller told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. "James has solidified Dave Culross on drums, Brett Hoffmann on vocals, me and James on guitars, but still no bass player. [DEATH/CONTROL DENIED bassist] Steve DiGiorgio declined to participate. I would also like to get some other guests from other bands who are DEATH fans to contribute tracks as well. I am also awaiting word from James on a label that will be releasing it. Recording will most likely begin sometime this summer."

Well, I agree with Steve declining. Even though the project is done to get some money for Chuck's family (and Murphy, of course...), I think it is pointless to cover Death songs, even with that lineup. I see so many shitty Death-covers out there (glad noone ever tried out something from "Individua...l", so far...), it is useless to have a whole CD full of them. Those guys should simply go on and do some good music on their own (can't remember any recent goodies they have written...). Death's music remains impeccable and it is still a shame to see others copy it inaptly and impassionately, as also done with the legacies of Savatage and the likes...and just look at those dreadful compilations from Nuke Blast where so called top-bands violate the material of Metallica or even Led Zep and Thin Lizzy. Shame on them all, they should go get a life.
OK, enough complaining...Steve did well not to be part of that - he will deliver the goods with the future projects he's involved in. Unlike others who are stuck in the past, Mr.Di has something to say in the future, I am sure!
So long...

Deadly Embrace said:
Ex-DEATH, MALEVOLENT CREATION Members Get Green Light To Record DEATH Tribute CD

Former DEATH/TESTAMENT guitarist James Murphy, ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION/SUFFOCATION drummer Dave Culross, ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION vocalist Brett Hoffmann and CKY guitarist Deron Miller are going ahead with their previously announced plans to record a DEATH tribute CD to benefit Murphy and the family of late DEATH frontman Chuck Schuldiner. "James Murphy got the OK from [Chuck's sister] Bethann Schuldiner to proceed, as we did not want to do this unless we had her blessing and permission," Miller told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. "James has solidified Dave Culross on drums, Brett Hoffmann on vocals, me and James on guitars, but still no bass player. [DEATH/CONTROL DENIED bassist] Steve DiGiorgio declined to participate. I would also like to get some other guests from other bands who are DEATH fans to contribute tracks as well. I am also awaiting word from James on a label that will be releasing it. Recording will most likely begin sometime this summer."
Can we get a response from Steve himself, as to why he chose not to participate? Obviously, the best line-up to cover Death songs would consist of former Death members!

Actually, there is one band that covered "The Philosopher" from ITP, and they're called Taine, from Romania. They sound quite a lot like Death, but, well, different. You can find this stuff at www.taine.ro

HippieOfDoom said:
Another boring answer for ya: I was just too busy and not around this part of the world at that time. I talked to James about it, he's cool with it, we're cool with it. Big deal...?

SDG
You're right, that is boring. :p People were probably expecting it to be for some big political reason. I'm glad it's not.

I'm also a bit curious about this album, mostly because I want to know if the guy from CKY is actually that good at guitar. :)