Deathcore mix needs work

ToE MoFo

Sep 22, 2010

this mix needs work but idk what to do? it sounds better on my monitors then i listen to it on cp speakers i dont like it. please help!

EDIT: vvvv UPDATED MIX FURTHER DOWN! vvvv

Last edited by a moderator:

this is the version before that one and listening to it now, i definately like it better then the second one... my ears are all fucked up

try getting a little more definition in the kick drum i think, thats the first thing that jumps out at me. Now, i would love to tell you how to do that, but im too new to all this:D maybe just bringing the volume up a little might help, but im sure it would need either some EQ to get it to cut more, or drum replacement if your into that kinda thing.

they are already trigger im blending 2 kicks together. i know what you mean tho the kick is higher in the second one which i think sounds better. imma try some eqing tho thanks!

First off, the mix sounds huge - so congrats on that. I do agree with Pariah about the kick - it's not cutting through very well. Also, I think your guitars and possibly the bass as well are fighting each other in the low/low mid range. Flip the mix into mono and you'll probably hear what I'm talking about. It sounds very conflicting in that area. Once you fix that you'll help your kick situation as well. Good job though.

-Jonathan

thanks, i completely agree about the guitar and bass fighting comment. on the first mix i ripped some more of the higher freqs off the bass but im definately going to eq some lower mid out of the guitars and see how that works. when you say listen to it in mono do you mean pan all the tracks to the center or like bounce in mono? thanks for the advice!

Exactly what thefalloftheheretic said. You shouldn't have to pan each track to the center. There should be a switch on the master buss, but I don't know what DAW you're using.

I would turn the guitars a bit down. Or shape them better around the drums. Sounds a bit like the bass guitar is clouding the kick. you know the trick with the sidechaincompressor on the bass, triggered by the bassdrum?

But the mix is cool!

im in logic pro. i dont know the side chain trick but i know how to side chain. do i put a comp on the bass track and just set the side chain to the track that has the kicks?

allright :) set up a really fast attack and a releasetime about 30-100ms (depends on the speed the kickhits appear, i would try to set up a release time so the compressor is working all through, when the kick is playing sixteenth notes) And try to gain -6db gain reduction with the threshhold. should give the kick more space.

and maybe you copy the kick track, add a highpass by 1,5k and a hard saturation/overdrive/distortion plugin. Then just blend it in to the normal kick track vor a more natural "klick"

better watch this^^: http://therecordingrevolution.com/2012/01/10/5-minutes-to-a-better-mix-ii-cut-through-kick-part-10-of-31/

yeah i already did that the clicky bass drum double. but im definately guna do the side chain ill post an update.

well this definately sounds tighter and punchy-er... does it sound a little hollow now tho?

opinions please!

sounds good but i would still turn up the "click" Track of the kick.

and why the solo guitar that loud? would sit much better in the mix when you place it where the keys are. mono, centered, and with a lowpass at somewhere around 7k. when you cut of the highs the guitar seems to be more far away and not like now "straight into the face"

sounds good but i would still turn up the "click" Track of the kick.

and why the solo guitar that loud? would sit much better in the mix when you place it where the keys are. mono, centered, and with a lowpass at somewhere around 7k. when you cut of the highs the guitar seems to be more far away and not like now "straight into the face"

when you say solo, do you mean the lead in the begininng?

my lead guitar is quad tracked i dont think centering it would sound better

ill try the low pass but i wanted the lead to be "straight into the face"

ill post an update. i think i took too much out of the mid.
thanks for all the advice.

hmm for me its too much. how many tracks do you have of the rythm guitars when you quadtracked the solo/leadguitar? imo its to much of the solo guitar and it takes sth of the rythmic brutality i am used to in this genre.

I think i took care of all the problems.. i did a lot more than what was mentioned.

any further advice would be great but im really happy with the mix.

I just listened to the before and after tracks and it sounds much much better.

Just my 2c, I would like to hear a more "full" sounding snare. Maybe slightly scoop out some of the lower snare freq on the guitars and/or slightly blend in a meatier sounding snare under the one you have already. Either way, sounds great man.

much better! now it got balls! huge and hairy hanging to the ground :D

Seriously: I think you improved it a lot. Next step would be to EQ the intruments better to get rid off this sometimes too muddy sound that clouds the drums and the vocals. Keep it going!