circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Decapitated – Organic Hallucinosis
Earache Records – MOSH321CD – February 7th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

decapitated.jpg

So…new singer…new album…blah…blah, blah. Yeah. That was my first reaction when I heard about Organic Hallucinosis. But still, I’ll be damned if Decapitated aren’t blistering and ferocious, effortlessly able to ravage the ears of the consumer. I couldn’t help but cast a smirk in the direction of their latest, though, since I didn’t like where they were heading with The Negation, despite my initial praise. Thankfully, Organic Hallucinosis is a step up, but as predicted by psychics everywhere, it doesn’t touch their older material.

The third most popular group hailing from Poland – behind Vader and Behemoth, naturally – have always been machine-like, which makes for perfect execution. They’re extremely mechanical, too. Is it ironic that there’s nothing remotely organic about Organic Hallucinosis? I suppose so, but for me Decapitated have always conjured an industrial/factory setting, rife with machines bustling at full speed, dispersing sparks to the unlucky eyeballs that would have them. Yes, the production does indeed suffice for eviscerating instrumentation such as this. Admittedly, however, it’s lifeless. And furthermore, the band proves they’re more than willing to rattle on for 32 minutes without blazing an innovative trail. There’s good fun here, nonetheless, as all the compositions are fast as hell – blinding even – and offer brutal performances. Unlike the forgettable The Negation, this recording is more interesting. Besides featuring several noteworthy attributes, they’ve also tossed in an occasional change-up, like when the drums opt for solitude at the 2:20 minute mark of “Day 69.” Nevertheless, Vogg’s monumental riffing, Witek’s unbelievable drumming, and Covan’s deep growling are what’s up for grabs most often. Fine by me. Please excuse my lack of excitement.

Seems that Organic Hallucinosis isn’t as much a departure as one might think, though Decapitated certainly underwent mutations before cutting this to tape. As I stated, Covan’s (vocals) a new guy on the block, which means they may have a more difficult time enticing their former audience to partake. At any rate, this is good fast death metal: destructive and punishing, as vicious as a Rottweiler. Even so, it’s not all that inspiring.

7/10

Official Earache Records Website

So if I really enjoyed Winds Of Creation and The Negation, and thought that Nihility was alright but a little too mechanical and souless, will I like this?

Indeed. NIhility was a little too mechanical. But in my opinion DECAPITATED is a great band, and Organic Hallucinosis is a great album. I think you will like it. But Winds of Creation is still the best release of Decapitated... dont know why... this album is kicking assssss 6 6 6

i like this disc, but on a few spins sounds a little similar throughout the tracks .. but this might be a good thing, as there are layers of things burried there ... kind of like Nihility which took a lot of listens to become the monster it is

I recenlty purchased this album it may not be as good as there previous albums with their new singer but hey covan still fits in good 7/10 as well (nihility still owns)

Hey guise. Decapitated's always bored me. Their only song that I can get through with any sort of fulfillment is Spheres of Madness.