December's debut + Devin Townsend...

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Okay, so December's first album (the one they originally released on Matt Zane's record label) is being re-released, and I got the promo copy of the CD yesterday morning. I've listened to it all the way through a couple of times now, and I have to say, it blows the follow-up 'The Lament Configuration' out of the water - but it's not as if the band have suddenly gone sucky - the only major difference is the production.

After hearing the debut, I seriously think that Devin Townsend severely messed up the production on 'The Lament Configuration' - the guitars and bass have lost their punch, the drums sound okay, but the vocals are terrible in comparison with the clarity and warmth of the production on the debut album.

Anyone else heard the debut or is suddenly developing doubts about Devy's producing skills? I've noticed people ragging on his production on Lamb Of God's 'As The Palaces Burn' album too...

Apparently, that's how those bands wanted to sound, although I severely doubt that December wanted The Lament Configuration to sounds so god-awful. I just think Devin's got an awfully high opinion of himself, and does badly balanced productions with the thought that they sounds different or unique. Goodness knows how the bands involved always seem to allow it. Even Soilwork's NBC was a bad production to my ears.

As for December's debut....I dunno. The production is much better obviously, and I was surprised at how good many of the songs are......I just don't know. I think both records are on a par with eachother, although they're certainly very different in terms of songwriting.

Well, As The Palaces Burn was co-produced by the Lamb of God themselves. It's not a bad production, but it does feel ill-suited for a metalcore disc. If the band played sludge/stoner rock, it would sound leagues better. I personally favor New American Gosepl's production, for the drum tech, if nothing else.

I really enjoyed Devin's production job of Natural Born Chaos. It was perfectly suited for the new style that the band was trying. If they were still playing The Chainheart Machine material, it would have been a train wreck.

I love December and The Lament Configuration, but the production is pretty bad. Too much of what's not important is at the forefront and not enough of what is important gets buried or becomes overly muddy. And those distorted vocals only sound good on the high pitched screams.

What I feel is going on is this: it seems to me that it sounds like Devin is really only been slightly tweaking the same basic production. Yeah there are differences, but if it was possible to take the production jobs of Natural Born Chaos, As The Palaces Burn, and The Lament Configuration, and rotate them between the three discs, would there really be any significant difference? Don't misunderstand me, I'm a huge Devin Townsend fan; the man is an amazing musician who has accomplsihed a lot in a short amount of time, but I think he has grown so use to managing his own projects (and there are boatloads of them), he is not sure how to handle other's material. The wall of sound procution approach works great on his stuff, but it doesn't seem to carry over to material written by others on a consistent enough basis. Disagree if you'd like, but that's how I see it.

So the prevailing opinion thus far is that Devin can do a great job producing his own material, but doesn't do so great at adapting his production style to other bands' sounds? Pretty much what I had in mind. I mean, I love Devin's own stuff, and I think the production on the last Strapping Young Lad album in particular is more or less flawless, but I just don't like what happens when he produces other bands.

dill_the_devil said:
So the prevailing opinion thus far is that Devin can do a great job producing his own material, but doesn't do so great at adapting his production style to other bands' sounds? Pretty much what I had in mind. I mean, I love Devin's own stuff, and I think the production on the last Strapping Young Lad album in particular is more or less flawless, but I just don't like what happens when he produces other bands.

Agreed on all counts. It's really hit or miss with other bands. I haven't heard all that he's produced, other than the three I listed. I know he did a Stuck Mojo album, and I'm sure he's done some others as well.

I see it breaking down like this: if the band he's producing writes material that will sound great with an extensively thick production (and not everything does), then the material will sound great, like what I think of Natural Born Chaos. If they don't (ie, Lamb of God, December), and the music written requires a more balanced approach, then the end result will sound less than stellar.

dill_the_devil said:
Okay, so December's first album (the one they originally released on Matt Zane's record label) is being re-released, and I got the promo copy of the CD yesterday morning. I've listened to it all the way through a couple of times now, and I have to say, it blows the follow-up 'The Lament Configuration' out of the water - but it's not as if the band have suddenly gone sucky - the only major difference is the production.

After hearing the debut, I seriously think that Devin Townsend severely messed up the production on 'The Lament Configuration' - the guitars and bass have lost their punch, the drums sound okay, but the vocals are terrible in comparison with the clarity and warmth of the production on the debut album.

Anyone else heard the debut or is suddenly developing doubts about Devy's producing skills? I've noticed people ragging on his production on Lamb Of God's 'As The Palaces Burn' album too...

Yeah, I mentioned this on the Lamb of God thread. I think Praying, Hoping, Nothing absolutely smokes the Lament Configuration. Unfortunately, I hear Devin will be producing the new one as well. As for lamb of god, even Randy Blythe himself said the production needs some serious beefing up. I, personally just don't think Devin is suited to produce bands like December and Lamb of God. He'll do fine with a band like Soilwork because the music he plays in Strapping Young Lad is a little more fitting to that particular style. As for metalcore..he's clueless.

Yeah, you all make perfect sense. That seems to be the way of things.

I really wanted to hear the bassdrum more often in NBC though. =( I mean, only hearing it when there was double bass going on sucked. I like to hear the single kicks too.....

LuminousAether said:
Lamb of God aren't metalcore. At all. Realize this and stop refering to them as metalcore, that's just stupid.

For all intensive purposes on this thread, they are. Those purposes being "anything not written, played, and produced by Devin Townsend."