Deep Purple - Hard Livin' Man

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
In 1973, I discovered Deep Purple (yes, I was a teenager when Jesus was a little boy!) and as a result my musical life was changed forever. For the younger folks on the forum, a lot of our favorite music has roots with Deep Purple, certainly they had progressive and power elements to their music and plenty of musical ability. I probably have 400 albums and CDs of Deep Purple and spinoffs (Rainbow, Whitesnake, etc.) including studio, live, and bootlegged material.

In the last week, I picked up a recent live album: Deep Purple with Orchestra Live at Montreux. One of the truly butt kicking early metal songs was Hard Lovin' Man, which for some reason was almost never played live, but is included on this release. Ian Gillan’s voice is certainly struggling:ill:, but it is definitely worth watching for the sheer energy:headbang:. Here it is.

In the early hey days of Deep Purple, Ian Gillan was, in my humble opinion, the best vocalist on the planet:worship:. (An interesting factoid is that he sang the part of Jesus on the original Jesus Christ Superstar recording.) To support my claim, here is Hard Lovin’ Man off of the immortal In Rock album:Spin:. You should listen the whole way through because they sound like they are destroying their instruments at the end, which they really did in their live performances back in those days.

Last edited by a moderator: