DEEP PURPLE & THIN LIZZY (With Great Pics)

princess_of_the_night2112

Goddess of Metal
May 23, 2005
Glasgow
Went to see Deep Purple, Styx & Thin Lizzy on the 1st of May at Glasgow Auditorium and it was TOTALLY AWESOME.

An early start with Thin Lizzy coming on first at 7pm. Gets to our seats as the band come on stage, 3rd row tickets which gave us a superb view and we were over on the left and I was standing directly in front of Marco Mendoza. Couldn't believe how close I was to him, took a few photos straight away of him but my hands were shaking that much being so close to him that they're too blurry. Anyhoo the steward guy comes over to me and I thought he was gonny tell me to put my camera away but he told me to go and stand at the front of the stage and take my photos. YOU BEAUTY!!!!! There was no-one else standing at the barrier at this point, so I just saunters up and stands directly in front of John Sykes - WOW WHAT A HUNK. This was my 3rd time seeing Lizzy and they totally fantastic. My memory's a bit blank for Lizzy but I'm sure they started with Jailbreak and then we got all the usual songs, Boys Are Back in Town, Waiting for an Alibi, Cold Sweat, Killer on the Loose, Suicide and the place was in an uproar when they played Emerald, that was PHENOMENAL which was then followed by Cowboy Song. Those 2 songs were the highlights for me, especially Cowboy Song cos Sykes sang it directly to me. BRILLIANT.

No encore for Lizzy, so heads to the bar and next band was Styx and wasn't too fussed seeing them but my pal wanted to - OMG BIG MISTAKE!!!! They were already on when we went back thru and they're playing I Am The Walrus - now I hate the Beatles at the best of times and really despise that particular song. It was horrendous, listened to half of the next song and then we bailed out back to the bar. They were CRAP!. Few more drinkies and then back through for Purple.

Right at the front of the barrier again, the band come on and next minute Gillan runs onto the stage barefooted and launches into Pictures of Home, my alltime fav song, and I very nearly keeled over it was that superb.

Purple were absolutely stunning, Gillan's voice was great and he had huge smile on his face the whole night, waving all the time, so they all looked like they were having a brill time. Songs that got played were Pictures of Home, Strange Kind of Woman, Into the Fire, Rapture of the Deep, When a Blind Man Cries (this was especially stunning), Spacetruckin, Highway Star and Black Knight - all were fantastic. Encore I think was Hush and Smoke on the Water, and obviously SOTW practically brought the roof down.

A totally tremendous night and Thin Lizzy were every bit as superb as Purple - Lizzy are back in Nov, so will be seeing them again.

The sound was awesome for Lizzy but for Purple there were a couple of times when I could hardly hear Gillan at all. The band sounded terrific and could hear them fine but I dont know what was wrong cos he was singing but there didn't seem to be any sound but apart from that, it was simply MINDBLOWING - a full 10 out of 10 for both bands. Styx of course get a big fat ZERO!!!

Check out my superb photos!!

purple-1.jpg

DSC_2314.jpg

DSC_2311.jpg

DSC_2304.jpg

DSC_2294.jpg

DSC_2292.jpg

DSC_2290.jpg

DSC_2284.jpg

DSC_2280.jpg

LIZZY
DSC_2272.jpg

DSC_2276.jpg

DSC_2274.jpg

DSC_2264.jpg

DSC_2261.jpg

Great pics and great gig Princess. Glad you made it ;)

Deep Purple always put a great show life no matter what they play (saw them twice with Lord and then with Airey...and Joe Satriani as surprise guest :D).

As for TL I would probably have split feelings, I love they continue the tribute but without Phil is not really TL for me, wish at least they have Brian Downey on drums the guy is one of the best drummers ever. Nevertheless Sykes/Gorham make a gret duo on the guitars.

Cheers

NP: Masterpan - 'Watching The World'

Yes Wyvern if I had been a hardcore Thin Lizzy fan for years, I'd probably have mixed feelings about this line-up as well but although I always quite liked TL, I was never a huge fan. Then I went to see them about 2 years ago and thought they were fantastic, so on Tuesday that was my third time seeing them and it was very good at the concert when John Sykes paid a special tribute to Phil. Its uncanny because for quite a few of the songs he sounds really really like Phil. Some folk think of this line-up as a glorified pub band but they are really excellent live.

Next concert for me is next Thursday when I go and see Magnum and then 2 days later I shall be seeing the mighty Saxon:headbang:

It seems it was a very good package (even i like Styx, not too much but I´d be curious to see them live).

About Thin Lizzy, I got mixed feelings too. Without Phil there´s no Thin Lizzy, that´s for sure. I saw them in Madrid 3 years ago. It was a very good show, they paid respect to Phil and John Sykes is a very good singer but... I´m a die hard Thin Lizzy fan and even worse not seeing Phil singing is Marco Mendoza playing bass. At least Sykes played in a couple of Lizzy albums. However, I enjoyed listening and chanting "Emerald" "Don´t believe a word" or "Killer on the loose". I´m waiting to see them again in June and I hope they play "Thunder and lightning".

I haven´t been as lucky as any of you with Deep Purple. I saw them three and never got the feeling there was an amazing gig. I mean, they were good but not superb as their songs and Gillan wasn´t at his best in any of those shows. I´m longing for an overwhelming Deep Pulple gig. Maybe next time and playing more from "In rock" than the other times (and I´m not talking about "Child in time" since they doesn´t play it many, many years ago)

Three of my fave bands of all time! Congrats Princess, looks like you had a blast.

Of course, Thin Lizzy isn't TL without Phil, but it's the best we can get since he's dead. The songs still kick ass.

I love Styx, they hold a very special place for me. But it's not the same without the classic line-up...Styx without Dennis DeYoung isn't Styx to me.

DP with Gillan? The bomb, man, the fucking bomb! That combinition is still relevent 30 some years later, with them continuing to put out quality new releases like Bananas and Rapture of the Deep.

NP: Cage - Hell Destroyer

Great pics.
Like said before here TL is not the same without Phil But I still would like to see and hear John and Scott Play.

Love DP. Steve Moorse just blows me away everytime I see him. I am so happy with him in this band.

Glad you had a great night Princess

Looks like you had a great show!

I saw Deep Purple / Thin Lizzy here in Quebec City in 2004 and this was a killer show. Sure Lizzy without Lynott is not the same, but the band was excellent. Deep Purple always give a good show. What a bunch of pros they are. Gillan is like fine wine. I saw him last August on his solo tour to promote the Gillan's Inn disc and he was killer. It was the day of his 60th birthday and the guy still got the pipes.

Nice pics Princess!

I saw Deep Purple in Strasbourg a few months ago and they were indeed as excellent as ever! :worship:

They had the good idea to bring back 2 songs from Fireball in the setlist, "The Battle Rages On" was also a pleasant surprise and the new version of "When a Blind Man Cries" is truly a bijou.

Here's the setlist of the gig I attended :
01 – Pictures Of Home
02 – Things I Never Said
03 – Strange Kind Of Woman
04 – Rapture Of The Deep
05 – FireBall
06 – Into The Fire
07 – Steve Morse solo
08 – The Well Dressed Guitar
09 – When A Blind Man Cries
10 – Lazy
11 – The Battle Rages On
12 – Don Airey solo
13 – Perfect Strangers
14 – Space Truckin’
15 – Highway Star
16 – Smoke On The Water
-------------------------------------
17 – Hush (+ Ian Paice solo)
18 - Roger Glover solo, Love Is All intro
19 – Black Night

Anything with sykes in it is gold, as long as it's NOT Nuclear Cowboy or whatever that rancid piece of techno trash was.

Tygers, Whitesnake, TL, Blue Murder, ALL are great with Sykes involved...IMO

Fangface, that looks more or less like the setlist for the Glasgow show, apart from they definitely didn't play Perfect Strangers.

I agree Dubya - Sykes is fabulous and the Tygers of Pan Tang were superb when he was with them. Saw TOPT quite a few times but the best time was when I saw both the Tygers and Praying Mantis playing in quite a small venue in Glasgow - SUPREME!!!!!

WOW! :kickass: :headbang: I hope you realise how lucky you are, young lady. :)

LOL Wheezer, I know I am very very lucky to see such great bands. Not sure if I said earlier on or not, but Thin Lizzy are coming back to Glasgow on 30th November and guess whose supporting them - yes Queensryche - woohooo I think that'll be another first class concert:headbang: