Defender!

Lot of respect to Bill for taking the time come on here and formulate some thoughts and comments. That's awesome :headbang:

What I mean by that, is that throughout my career, I've had to "settle" for many things. You know when a situation is ALMOST perfect but you try to overlook the one aspect you dislike about it thinking it's not a big deal? Then it comes and bites you right in the ass and that's the very reason you end up leaving it? Well, I can tell you that it's ALWAYS been the case with me, and DEFENDER is certainly not.

At the end of the day this is all that really matters. People might take note of the band hopping but yknow if it doesn't work for you then why settle. If you can pour all your passion into a project which you've made your own instead of trying to adopt someone else's creation then all power to you my friend! :kickass:

Gimmicks......indeed, one of my least favourite things but shows I guess how be people can be suckered in the metal world just like they can with pop music.

I don't think I'm being "suckered" if I enjoy a gimmick for being a gimmick, especially if it's something nobody has really done before.

Sometimes a gimmick can make your band what it is; Alestorm is the perfect example. They're having a blast playing silly pirate songs and we're all having a blast listening to the silly pirate songs. Powerglove is another example with their video-game-cover shtick.. Also, a gimmick is worthless unless it's executed fairly well.

People respond to uniqueness sometimes. I also respond to formula, but that's just me. :)

I'm not sure we are "all" having a blast listening to "silly pirate songs" lol!

I guess, to be fair, I've never been particularly interested in what a band looks like...rather I'm more interested in the composition of the music and the lyrical content. Although I have to say it's pretty irritating, well for me at least, to play a festival or such like and half the crowd are dressed up as pirates and staggering around "growling" like pirates. Maybe that's an age thing though :)

Luckily though the gimmick of Alestorm is there, I don't think it gets in the way of some pretty good music. And that's from a strictly composition PoV rather than the lyrical content/theme. Personal opinion and all that but from seeing them live I can confirm no one was dressed piratey (not even the band) nor growling. They're not Swashbuckle!