Deftones - My Own Summer cover! Rate it!

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
Hey dudes! I've been working on a cover of the Deftones "My Own Summer" song! Let me know what you think!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8437509

I used TSE X30 for the guitars and used Splatt's settings. For the bass I used the Ampeg vst and for the drums I used DFH, I will replace the drums with samples but for this rough mix, they do the job!

If you dn't like these drums, ignore them! I will replace them soon. This is a rough mix as well, I am working on the sound and drums at the moment.

You should have replaced the drums before put the link here. I say this because the drums sucks really hardballs. A half step to a good mix is also a good drum sound.

I know, but I was in a rush to get in finished! What did you think of the rest of it? Like the guitars or bass?

Also, I have downloaded the big samples pack that Erkan uploaded, but am struggling to find some samples that sound like Deftones, does anyone know where I can find some Deftones style samples?

its not bad.. when you replace the drums i'd def use a mixture of the original cuz they sound pretty close to the deftones sound, just beef em up a bit. also do something with bass, it's just kinda blah (try throwing this on it http://rekkerd.org/?dl=742) and the guitar tones are almost there, they're just lacking a bit of punch and sound a little too fake, but other than that you're on your way to getting a great sound!

when using the TSE X30 what are you doing for cabinet emulation?

its not bad.. when you replace the drums i'd def use a mixture of the original cuz they sound pretty close to the deftones sound, just beef em up a bit. also do something with bass, it's just kinda blah (try throwing this on it http://rekkerd.org/?dl=742) and the guitar tones are almost there, they're just lacking a bit of punch and sound a little too fake, but other than that you're on your way to getting a great sound!

when using the TSE X30 what are you doing for cabinet emulation?

I'm using Kefir with ryan's pres-8 impulse for my cabinet emulation. The guitars were way too loud on this mix, you can't really hear the bass :lol:

its not the volume so much as the tone of the bass, its kinda bland and try using the pres-high on it instead of 8. I typically when using ryans impulses run one side on axis and the other side off axis

its not the volume so much as the tone of the bass, its kinda bland and try using the pres-high on it instead of 8. I typically when using ryans impulses run one side on axis and the other side off axis

I'll try that impulse dude. I wanted a boomy bass sound without much mids or treble like Deftones had on that album but it could do with a bit more tone I suppose dude!

yup. its good to try to recreate what they did but a mix as a whole needs to have all the holes filled so that each instrument compliments each other. The playing though is good, any chance on getting the tracks to mess around with? :D