Delay/fx question

Downtuned

Losethehorizonagain
Mar 25, 2011
UK
Just a small question about effects.

Say there is a vocal track and the singer wants some repeat delay effects after certain words or a guitar track with the same effect after certain chords/notes etc.

Easy enough to achieve but is it preferable to just whack a delay effect in an insert on the actual vocal track itself and automate it on and off at the correct times or set up a separate FX track to send the vocal signal to and automate the same way?

I've been doing the first option, really out of laziness since it's just small bits that need the effect but I'm just wondering what would the preference be to everyone on here.

I know there's no rules but I'm just interested.

Thanks!

Cool thanks, I guessed it was the same but it's always nice to have a bit of reassurance.

I usually prefer to print the effect to a new track. You have less automation eating up processing, better control over the individual track to really fine tune its place in the mix and it can also help make those single words or notes really pop out better. If you already have some kind of blending delay going on and you automate to make a single word really jump out with an exaggerated one, sometimes there can be a little carry over from the words before and it makes it less effective.

If the tracks are there, I go for printing

I also prefer setting up a send-automation to a different track over whacking it over the original. It doesn't take much time once you have done it a few times and it gives that much more control and finetuning. You can also try some whacky FX on that delay-track without having to set up another bunch of automations for those on the original.

Seems there's good reasons for using both and then some.

Interesting stuff, I suppose I'll just have to experiment and see which one seems right. I like the straightforwardness of just having it on the track but I also like the safety zone of having it sent to an FX track.

We shall see!

Thanks guys!