Delay verb vox thing...

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
I'm just wondering how to achieve that big long verb/delay vox thing people do at the end of a long scream. If you need an example I'm sure i can find one. I know Lamb of god Sacrament had them and there pretty common in metal mixes. I'm using protools and really struggle trying to achieve this so please any pointers on what plugs and how to route or automate things would be grand.

I have been messing around with the long reverb at the end of a scream. I send the vox to an aux, then set the mix to 100% wet on the aux, and automate the volume up on the last scream of the little vocal run. Not really sounding too pro yet, but its getting there. I use delay. I find it easier to tweak.

wish I could help you more lol

edit: I think using my ears and just fuckin around will get me there.

Yea Ive done this both verb and delay and send original vox to both on a buss and automate volume up on those busses as the scream fades. The problem is usually it just sounds like shit. :heh:

I don't know what kind of reverb to use and Ive tried a bunch of settings on dverb. Another problem Ive had is the volume gets louder when all 3 orig vox, delay buss and reveb buss are going at the same time. I then usually counter this by automating the vox as well and fading the original vox out. Ive got ok sounds but nothing like what i want.

AKA delay throws

The trick is mono>stereo reverb with stereo delay after, so the reverb gets wider.
Automate the send level for the words you want the effect on.

I did that on my Unrest mix: http://necrosensual.com/mixing/The_Unrest-Meridian_Hour_AGZmix.mp3

And similar with pingpong delay on the screams in this song: http://necrosensual.com/mixing/we_are_dinosaurs.mp3

OK let me see if I understand you correct...

Mono=orig vox then send that mono vox to a stereo buss with reverb then use a send from that reverb and send to a stereo buss with delay?

Any special choice of reverb you prefer?

OK let me see if I understand you correct...

Mono=orig vox then send that mono vox to a stereo buss with reverb then use a send from that reverb and send to a stereo buss with delay?

Any special choice of reverb you prefer?

I think he's saying to have the delay on the same aux as the verb, just inserted right after it

you automate your send to the verb/delay chain for the words you want more Juju on

Hey Josh, the mono send to a stereo delay is the same thing I do too. I normally create a mono aux bus (which only requires a mono input), and then insert the stock Pro-Tools delay ("Extra Long" or whatever), the mono to stereo version. Set the delay to 100% wet, a quarter note delay or even a half note might be good depending on the tempo of the song, and then in the past I would set the delay milliseconds off from each other by about 50, and it never seemed to cause any phase issues, and then you get a wide sounding delay. More recently I've shied away from that last detail and gone in favor of having a quarter note in one ear and a half in the other, but it's tricker to get them to decay and vanish around the same time since they're different delay lengths. Anyway, I aux send each of my vocal tracks to it, and I find it easier to keep the aux sends always unmuted, but just automate the level up whenever I want delay. Also, don't be afraid to throw an EQ on the Delay aux and remove some of the low end and high end, which helps tuck the delay back a little bit so you don't hear the "s" and "t" sounds as prominently. Getting some of that low end out of there will probably help with your issue of things getting too loud when the delay swells in too!

Actually, on my latest project, I put the Massey TD5 on the delay aux first (mono), and set it up so that it's pretty dark/kind of saturated sounding, then put the mono to stereo delay right after that (but more subtle), and it turned out really good.