Dementia - Marzenia Zapomnianego Czasu (demo)

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Dementia - Marzenia Zapomnianego Czasu (demo)

575_1.jpg

I got the demo from this Polish band last October at the the Thrash 'em all festival. When I got home I put their cd among the others 'waiting for review' and I almost forgot about them, but time flew away and they were the next in the line.

The 20 minute-long demo consists of five songs and an intro, but despite its shortness it's surprisingly enjoyable to listen to. It's been said many times that Poland is known mostly for their death metal bands and in the case of Dementia it's been proved again, though they don't play the Decapitated-Dies Irae kind of music. Their music is comparable to the Finnish melodic death metal with some Swedish influence. By the first listening the 'Dreams of Forgetten Times' (as the title might be translated) brings up names like Children of Bodom, Kalmah and even Dark Tranquillity in hints. They interlaced their music with fine melodies to obtain their own identity. The sound of synths shows they are influenced by black metal without becoming cliched. What's more, there is a nice guitar solo in the second song that is supported by light synths in the background.

This demo holds the energetic, dynamic content that usually marks this kind of music. Their spiciness is the Polish lyrics that sounds strange for the first time, but it gives some barbaric charm to their music. And after several listenings you could not imagine anything else fitting better to it.

I would also like to mention their singer who does a good job with his shrieking-growling vocals in the slower, low tuned parts just like with the faster, more aggressive themes.

As far as I know this is the only material the band has and it already contains quality music. If a young, unknown band can produce such music then it's no wonder that Poland has already given so many good bands to the world. I'm really eager to hear what comes next from Dementia.

1. Intro
2. Opetanie
3. Dziedzictwo Zycia
4. The Last Sacrifice
5. Srebrnymi Mieczami Piorunów
6. Marzenia Zapomnianego Czasu

Length: 19:44

Dementia Homepage