Demo work?

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I gave a friend of mines son a great rate of $300 for a 6 song demo. I explained to them that I would basically be recording live, minimal overdubbing and little to no editing. But now these guys are wanting special effects and editing to fix the parts they messed up on. My question to you guys when doing demo work at demo prices how far do you go to get them to sound as close to a professional product?

It sounds to me like you gave them a price and set expectations up front - I would remind them of what was agreed upon originally and let them know you're happy to do what they're asking but that it would be ontop of the originally quoted price because it's work beyond what you'd agree to in the first place.

What Jeff said; but also, if you have a personal relationship with a client that extends deeper than standard procedure, it's all your own discretion. You're allowed to do (or not do) the extra work, by the book or not. You're the only boss you'll have to answer to.

***UPDATE*** Ok here's how this shit is going down. I recorded their "Demo" for $300 they played pretty much live...few overdubs but no click track, no scratch guitar tracks. Everyday they were to show up at 10am to my house and were late everyday except the last day. Bass player isn't a great bass player but one day will be a good bass player if he keeps practicing. Lead guitarist is good...but most solos didn't match their songs. Fast forward to today....Guitarist records from his car stereo to his cell phone and post a sample and so it sounds hollow....and some bedroom engineer criticizes my work and says he would have done a better job. He would have sample replaced, edited to fuck to get their "demo" sounding perfect...all on $300 bucks and 3 days. The band did come to me defense, But I'll chalk it up as lesson learned for doing cheap work for a friends son.