drum editing

Sacha

Throbbing Member
Jul 20, 2002
Calgary, AB, CANADA
www.mp3.com
Hi Neil, this forum is an awessome idea, great resource having you and sneap here to help people out, killer!!!
Anyhoo, my first question for you is about drum editing, basically, how do you do it? I mean, do you punch in the mistakes on another set of tracks as you are tracking? or do you do a few takes and then comp those into one perfomance? Alternatively, do you trigger everything and then re-sample it all?
Reason I ask is i'm having a hard time fixing some mistakes on a new demo I'm working on, some flubbed fills and editing the triggered kick alone doesn't fix it, cuz the mic bleed is still there on the other tracks.
Any tips or tricks you might have in this department would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers, keep up the great work for Metal!! :headbang:

-Sacha

enditol said:
Hi Neil, this forum is an awessome idea, great resource having you and sneap here to help people out, killer!!!
Anyhoo, my first question for you is about drum editing, basically, how do you do it? I mean, do you punch in the mistakes on another set of tracks as you are tracking? or do you do a few takes and then comp those into one perfomance? Alternatively, do you trigger everything and then re-sample it all?
Reason I ask is i'm having a hard time fixing some mistakes on a new demo I'm working on, some flubbed fills and editing the triggered kick alone doesn't fix it, cuz the mic bleed is still there on the other tracks.
Any tips or tricks you might have in this department would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and cheers, keep up the great work for Metal!! :headbang:

-Sacha

I use a number of different methods, depending on the prokect and how it's structured.

Sometimes I'll edit between takes to get the bits I need, or alternatively do a punch in as necessary. If it's just not getting any better from a performance point of view I'll probably mess with it after the fact, and once again use a number of different methods to get the kinks out. Pro Tools has a number of very good tools, like Beat Detective for example, that can help you get to the bottom of a problem and fix things that otherwise would not have been possible. It's not always necessary to use it though, at least for my albums, but it's nice to help get rid of those hard to remove stains :)

I will also straighten out errant kicks if they start to wobble or gallop too - again only if necessary.

Once the take is complete and all fixed up, I'll use Sound Replacer to add my own reinforcement to the acoustic drums (usually only kick and snare) if necessary. The density of the music will dictate wheher or not that step is necessary. In my opinion it's not always something that has to be done though.

Neil K.