Drum editing

do you zoom in a lot? how much would you say you zoom in? I'm getting the hang of it with drums anyways. I figured i'd practice on drums first and then move on to guitars. Could anyone here post a tutorial on them slip editing guitars. Even just a quick demonstration would be very helpful to me.

okay, here is a sample of some drums I slip edited. These are only slightly processed with some eq/compression/reverb. No triggers or anything. They obviously arn't great sounding right now but do they sound like they were edited okay? Do they sound in time and everything? Any weird artifacts? Please help! :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51105490/Drums.mp3

damnit I hear a little blip on the snare track. What do you guys do to get rid of wierd artifacts like that?

For the sake of learning to do it properly, I'd suggest not doing that. Edit everything together so that you are not creating flams or phase issues. The only time I am not editing the kick at the same time is if the there is terribly played double bass or terribly played blast beats - in those situations I edit the feet separately. However, you still need to either keep the kick track grouped with the hands while doing it or cut both ends of the section so that that the kicks after that are still in phase with the rest of the tracks in all the other parts after it. What I do in those situations is just chop both ends of the section, keep all tracks selected, edit just the hands, then edit a small section of the kicks and then copy+paste (usually 4 hits) those.

Words suck, videos take time to make. No way to win.

OP: You probably should try Studio One's Audio Bend (there's a free 30 days full version demo on their site). I've dealt multi-tracks drum editing with Cubase, Reaper, & Pro Tools. Using both slip edit & timestrecth algo. The easiest was using S1. There's no free lunch, though .. all good editing takes time.

thanks. I was wondering what guys did for the double bass and blast beat parts. The kick bleed from the overheads that isn't edited wont be a problem? I know you can highpass (andy sneap goes as high as 700hz), but what about if you dont highpass that much?

I was going to make this thread today, funny. I have a couple of questions:

1) When using Beat Detective (my tool of choice for this project), what do you do with hits that are too far apart, and you get a ghost hit or a cymbal artefact in the end of the first hit? I tried TCE'ing it, but it sounded like shit. Copy paste a similar hit somewhere on the song? Use xform with EA on the single hit?

2) Do you use collection mode? What does it really even do?

3) What's your crossfade shape when editing drums? I'm using equal power crossfades, but sometimes feel as if linear would sound better.

4) Do you have a workflow with interloping comps, when doing BD in 8 bar segments or by song parts, or do you just leave them to BD to figure out?

5) How the fuck do you keep yourself entertained while editing? Movies/series playing on the other screen? Listening to music? I feel I'm going to die from braindeath in about 15 minutes or so :lol:

Regarding question 1, I definitely share your frustration with that. If re tracking the section is not an option(drums mics are down, or you were sent this project), I usually look for the same section from a different part of the song. For example, if the beat in the second verse is played too off time to be edited, but the first verse is good, I'll usually take that. As far as taking individual hits, I usually struggle with that as well because most of the time the dynamics are a little different and sometimes a cymbal decay from a previous hit can be in the hit you take as well and that can sound unnatural.

I usually do x-form and render when done like you suggested as well. TCE never sounds clean to me either, and that's usually the best I can do.

If all of those methods don't work and you're still getting artifacts, I have told the band that I have done the best I could and next time you'll have to just play it better..haha.

thanks. I was wondering what guys did for the double bass and blast beat parts. The kick bleed from the overheads that isn't edited wont be a problem? I know you can highpass (andy sneap goes as high as 700hz), but what about if you dont highpass that much?

If you only edit the feet separate on double bass and blast beats, generally the kick isn't being hit hard enough to bleed very much into the overheads, so you have the advantage of everything else being much louder in those mics and it gets masked very well.