Drum editing question

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Okay so I've just passed around 15-20 hours of drum editing/quantizing. The was I processed is that I used beat detective using the snare track as a guide, and I quantized the kick separately in midi.

The problem now is that even if I hipass everything, I still the hear the ******* old kick in my tracks.

Do you guys have the same problem? Will the old kick disappear in the complete mix ( I can't test it since I only have the vocals and drums tracks, the rest isnt recorded yet).

Thanks!

Hey man. normally when people quantize drums they group the channels, so the audio is still hitting all the mics at the same time. are you planning on replacing the drums? if not, you're probably going to have some phase issues. I can't tell you if it will be audible in the mix because I don't know how you miced the drums. if you miced them in a way to minimize bleed, you might be ok, if not, you might be screwed. I dunno if you're recording yourself or another band, but I would say, the best thing to do is just try them in a full mix and see. you're probably going to at least have to high pass the eff outa the overheads. you may also have to trim the tom channels when there is nothing being played on the toms.

Hey man. normally when people quantize drums they group the channels, so the audio is still hitting all the mics at the same time. are you planning on replacing the drums? if not, you're probably going to have some phase issues. I can't tell you if it will be audible in the mix because I don't know how you miced the drums. if you miced them in a way to minimize bleed, you might be ok, if not, you might be screwed. I dunno if you're recording yourself or another band, but I would say, the best thing to do is just try them in a full mix and see. you're probably going to at least have to high pass the eff outa the overheads. you may also have to trim the tom channels when there is nothing being played on the toms.

Yeah that's what I did, but on the blastbeat parts sometimes the kick isnt played at the same time with the snare, so I converted the kick to midi and quantized it there, but sometime we hear the ''ghost'' of the kick.

What does people do when the kick isn't always on time with the snare on blasbeats but you want to keep the original tracks?

I thought from your post you only quantized the snare and kick track. I have this problem sometimes too. if you high pass the overheads like crazy, you should be fine as long as they're not too loud in the mix. you may have to be careful how much compression you use on the overheads though, because they'll make the kick bleed louder.

yeah dude, there will probably be no getting it perfect but if you hipass your oh tracks to like 600-900 you can pretty much eliminate bass drum bleed, your cymbals will sound a bit thin but thats the trade off for not having a great performance in the first place. Also you could try using a multiband comp to tame the bass drum and toms.

your editing method is good, lot's of dudes do it that way (such as andy) But you NEED to work hard on reducing kick bleed. take samples of the kick, then stuff the SHIT out of it (packing peanuts, even) and trigger it. that's a good way. you can keep it accoustic also with just a medium amount of dampening but not so much you can't still get a good sound, and then try and get a carpet over the kick. be creative, but this method (separate kick quantize) only works with minimal/no bleed.

Its hard when you first start drum editing to know how tight parts need to be played to edit out correctly and I guess now you will know next time that blasts are an area that must be quiet good to begin with. Also Im sure that the ghosts wont be heard under all the other instruments so it should work out ok.