Question about Drum editing (Pro Tools)

EachHit

ScytheBeast
Dec 21, 2013
Germany
Hi,

I was wondering if I have a nice and smooth Workflow when I edit drums. Lately I do my editing always with Beat Detective in conjunction with an Autohotkey Script (I am on a Windows PC).
Are you guys first editing all the drums and Quantize them and clean up Tracks like Toms, HiHat, Ride etc. afterwards.
Or may it be easier to roughly clean up all the unneccesary Stuff from the direct Mics. Besides the Kick and Snare Track of course.

Heavy Greetz

I'm not on PT but you want to do all your edits and then strip bleed. You don't necessarily have to comp those edits to single regions to start stripping bleed (I'd recommend against it; stripping bleed is SO easy when you already have the tracks cut up), but you shouldn't do it before you start editing or anything like that.

I'm not on PT but you want to do all your edits and then strip bleed. You don't necessarily have to comp those edits to single regions to start stripping bleed (I'd recommend against it; stripping bleed is SO easy when you already have the tracks cut up), but you shouldn't do it before you start editing or anything like that.

Thanks for the Answer,

I was doing all the Editing (Quantizing) before I removed all the unnecessary bleed from the Toms and Hats, Rides etc. But I thought there may be a better way to do it.
It feels a little uncomfortable to me when I see all the bleed in the Tracks when I start to move the Syncpoints in PT.

Heavy Greetz

I don't strip until I've edited and I do consolidate. With strip silence it's so easy to ballpark it that you don't lose much time. Then again, I rarely strip out tracks completely anymore; I just automate.

I don't strip until I've edited and I do consolidate. With strip silence it's so easy to ballpark it that you don't love much time. Then again, I rarely strip out tracks completely anymore; I just automate.

For what purpose do you use Strip Silence. I tried it a few times. But I am much faster. when I just use Shortcuts to clean up Tom Tracks.
When I would be better at programming then I would build myself some better Scripts for Autohotkey. I've seen some Guys using QuickKeys on a Mac and that was pretty awesome.

Heavy Greetz

I use strip silence b/c I can finesse the threshold and strip out 99% of the garbage. With a consolidated region you can zoom out to the whole song, select the whole tom track, set your strip silence threshold/pads and strip it out. So that took 15 seconds and at that point you can just tab to regions that have hits and finesse the heads/tails. It's way more efficient IMHO than zooming in and out to each section.

I use quickeys for all sorts of stuff but I don't see an advantage here b/c the time consuming part is listening. Otherwise it's just tab, A,S,D and G.

Part of this too, comes from the fact that I alway BD/edit the drums, make a dup playlist, consolidate edits, make a dup playlist, and then strip bleed if that's what a want to do. The reason for this is that in the event you are passing stuff off to another engineer or need to go back track for some reason everything is there and ready to go. CFH13 has given a great breakdown of his editing and quickeys process and he is about as close to a PT wizard as you are going to find.

Part of this too, comes from the fact that I alway BD/edit the drums, make a dup playlist, consolidate edits, make a dup playlist, and then strip bleed if that's what a want to do. The reason for this is that in the event you are passing stuff off to another engineer or need to go back track for some reason everything is there and ready to go. CFH13 has given a great breakdown of his editing and quickeys process and he is about as close to a PT wizard as you are going to find.

I never thought it that way and I guess I will try out Strip Silence on some Tomtracks when I do some recordings.
That could have been handy for me today as I was cleaning up some Drumtracks.
Last Time I tried Strip Silence I had a whole lotta problems to get the Threshold correct. But I guees that was due to my lousy Micing Technique.
Did you use Strip Silence for other Drumtracks also? Like HiHat or Ride.

Heavy Greetz

I handle cymbals with fader rides. I'm sure some one in the world has, but I've never gotten cymbal tracks that were clean enough that I could bring them in and out completely without a noticeable impact on the rest of the drum sound.

I handle cymbals with fader rides. I'm sure some one in the world has, but I've never gotten cymbal tracks that were clean enough that I could bring them in and out completely without a noticeable impact on the rest of the drum sound.

So it seems that you handle a lot of "editing" with Automation, right? I am so used to edit stuff with Fade Ins and Fade Outs that I never thought about doing Automation on that stuff.

Gladfully I haven't got enough Mics and Pre's to mic every single Cymbal.

Heavy Greetz

Yeah, I like automating b/c I think some amount of bleed adds to the overall thickness and depth of the kit. I'm not way into the ultraclean thing (though it works really well for lots of producers and bands).

I can never get strip silence to work reliably enough for me. I set the nudge value to 10 Ms, tab to transient, nudge back, then fade in. Can zip through a song in about 10 mins or so, depending on how complicated it is, and how bad the spill is.