Questions about drum tracks

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'd like to know if I'm on the right track(lol)...We recorded drums the last days, and I'm currently editing/mixing the tracks. I'd like to if what I've done is correct:

1- Instead of putting gates on the toms, I manually deleted all the parts with no toms, because the toms tracks were strange and some toms hits were at the same level than strong snare/hihat hit. There's only bleed from the other mics when toms are hit. I've put little eq on the toms.

2- I 100% replaced the kick. I then eq'ed it.

3. For the snare, I have 3 tracks. We recorded only the top snare. I kept the original snare track, then I created two other snare tracks with samples using drumagog, but kept the original track a bit higher than the others to keep the snare rolls. I eq'ed the snares a bit, and put a gate on them.
4- For both of the overheads tracks, I put a hipass filter, to cut bass drum and snare, and the bass because we were recording the bass at the same time.

5- I did nothing for the hihat track, except panning it 30 left.

6- All my drums track go in a group with an eq with a small cut at 500 and a C4 with the ''hard basic'' changed a bit.

Heres a mp3 of everything except guitars. We'll redo the clean vocals too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=739013&songID=7263080

Thanks!
Max

Sounds like you did a good job of tracking the drums.

This is what I would do if I were you.

Pan the hi-hat a little more drastically (maybe 60 left)

Hi-pass the Oh's around at least 500hz, it will really clear what little mud you have here. I would also hi-shelf at around 8khz around 2 db.

Hi-pass the kick at 40hz, snare at 100hz, the rack toms at 100hz and the floors at 80hz.

Take all the drums, send them to a bus, cut 500hz like you've done, compress a little less than you have done.

Cut A LOT of 400hz out of the kick and high shelf at 3khz for a nicer click.

Set up a compressor as a send or an aux and put a compressor with a very high ratio 30:1, really fast release and attack and around a -15db thresh and sent it to the bus of drums only. Turn the aux knob up till its nice and punchy, but not muddy.

Tailor the drums individually with your ears.

-Greg

Sounds like you did a good job of tracking the drums.

This is what I would do if I were you.

Pan the hi-hat a little more drastically (maybe 60 left)

Hi-pass the Oh's around at least 500hz, it will really clear what little mud you have here. I would also hi-shelf at around 8khz around 2 db.

Hi-pass the kick at 40hz, snare at 100hz, the rack toms at 100hz and the floors at 80hz.

Take all the drums, send them to a bus, cut 500hz like you've done, compress a little less than you have done.

Cut A LOT of 400hz out of the kick and high shelf at 3khz for a nicer click.

Set up a compressor as a send or an aux and put a compressor with a very high ratio 30:1, really fast release and attack and around a -15db thresh and sent it to the bus of drums only. Turn the aux knob up till its nice and punchy, but not muddy.

Tailor the drums individually with your ears.

-Greg

Thanks man, I'll try that!

Aside from the snare, I'm really digging this mix.
Nice and natural, punchy and clear, just the snare isn't doing much for me. Seems like you're going for a more death metal atmosphere, not that I can tell too well without the guitars, but the ringy deftones/st anger style snare could probably be replaced with something more low end oomph, more crack and less tinnyness.

Some nice grooves in there too.
I dig.

Sounds good man. Perhaps high pass the hat track if you want to get a little less mud that could be in there.

Also - why the cut at 500Hz on the drum bus? Never knew of this, is this something done regularly?