Slip Editing in Pro Tools

BLUElightCory

May 24, 2007
www.coryspotts.com
Hey all,

I've seen a few different threads recently where people are claiming that slip editing isn't possible in Pro Tools - Unless I'm misinterpreting things (which is totally possible depending on how much coffee I've had to drink) I'm referring to "slip editing" as the method of separating audio into regions and then moving the audio within the region boundaries.

This is possible in Pro Tools - simply make your region boundaries using Beat Detective/Tab to Transient/Whatever, select the region, and hold "Control" while hitting the "+" and "-" keys on the numeric keypad. This will slide the audio within the region by whatever the "nudge" value is set to. Very useful for editing DIs, drums, etc.

Like I said, I could just be confused as to what people are looking for, but this is a helpful editing technique either way so I figured I'd post it in the hopes that one or two people would learn something.

Good day!

Yeah but it's still pretty useless in Pro Tools compared to the extent it's useful in other DAWs. Being able to do little nudges doesn't make it really useful for using it for the same techniques we use it for in Reaper or Cubase unfortunately! Like imagine trying to edit drums that way, hitting nudge like 500 times per hit is pretty brutal :/ I wish they would add it as something that could be done via the mouse and across large ranges in PT! It's a lot faster to do it with the mouse than with predefined values.

Almost all of my editing is done with slipping! I am very rarely actually moving a region around, it's faster for me to just slip things where they need to be and then trim any edges afterwards, but usually when editing the region boundaries are already where you need 'em ;)

you can press alt + control + or - to change the value of the sample you move and can really crank shit out quickly

Still not cool until we can do it with the mouse... I don't think it's asking to much for them to give us that feature!

I posted this a few years back.

I know that the beat detective / slip edit / whatever has been gone over a thousand times on here. I just think this has some value for people. I'm in protools 10 so I can multitrack beat detective if i want, but i find this better. These ideas can always be applied to any DAW.

1. Determine what drum hits you want to quantize to. In most metal projects that I don't want super robotic I use the kick and snare. Feel free to use the tom hits as well.

2. If im rolling most of the lows out of the overheads i tend to do the kick separately from the rest of the kit.

3. This is the key. I want to now make a "guide track". This will be made up of the hits i want to quantize to. In this example i will do the kick and snare together.

4. The next step has nothing to do with sound/tone. Apply a transient designer on the kick drum, and one on the snare. All we are doing here is exaggerating the transient so that beat detective will find them easier. Also try to keep the level between the kick and snare close. You can also put a gate first if trying to keep ghost notes and small hits out.

5. Bounce/Record/Print the kick and snare to a new track. This is the guide track.

6. Now using Tab to Transient or Beat Detective begin to slice up the guide track.

7. Group the drums together so the edits affect all the drum tracks as a whole. Also be aware that you don't want any breaks/gaps in the regions of the drums. (except the guide track)

8. Turn off Tab to Transient. Now when you press tab you will go the regions instead. This will now take us to every transient in the guide track. In Keyboard focus mode hit Tab, B, Tab, B, Tab, B throughout the track. OR Use Beat Detective Region Separation. Both have advantages. Some will argue that beat detective has the Trigger Pad option to allow the cut to be ahead of the transient. Just remember that now we are quantizing the region start not the transient. If the pad is 10ms when all said and done just nudge everything back 10ms when done. Just to be weird for some reason I use 6ms trigger pad and a 3ms crossfade time.

9. Now you can Hard Quantize (cmd 0) or use beat detective and quantize all the parts.

10. Using beat detective smoothing to fill and crossfade (people tend to use the default 5ms). If using Beat Detective to separate some people will say the crossfade time should be half of the trigger pad time.