Reaper style "slip" editing in PT

In some areas it would certainly help Avid to listen to the userbase. There are some simple things that have been omitted for a long time now and likely wouldn't take long to code at all. Like creating keyboard shortcuts for the common 'Delete fades', 'Export MIDI' and 'Create Click track' functions, which are all vital ... to me anyway. Can't imagine adding a mouse-based slip 'within region' mode would be too hard on them either. It's a feature that's semi-vital to those of us who edit guitars as we track, since there's no effective way to work Elastic Audio into a tracking scenario.

Adam, do you see any potential for an 'under-the-hood' timestretch feature being added to BD, much as what you did with your Reaper script?

i have shortcuts for some of those... like Create Click Track... i use QuicKeys for things like this. i have QuicKeys for many features that PT doesn't have a shortcut for, and for all my macros. would be nice if they had key-commands for some of those though, so i could use the shortcuts i created for a macro instead.

not sure what you mean about Elastic Audio not being viable during guitar tracking... i have used it during tracking when necessary, and it's perfect... works just great actually.

i also agree that with 99% of the extreme metal stuff everyone here is doing these days (including me for the most part) you won't run into any "feel" issues... but in stuff that actually DOES have a "groove" to it you can indeed find a difference, in favor of "strength percentage" based conforming... and as Adam has just said, BD is the the most elegant way to effect that type of edit that i've ever run into.

Yup, this is basically where we agree and is why I did just order PT9 last night. For the super tight metal stuff, I find it almost necessary to use slip editing anyways just to get all the blastbeats and fills done properly, but for the stuff that really requires groove... it's generally (and I realize this is a wide sweep) not super super technical, and BD handles it wonderfully.

There is nothing quite like getting a 120BPM, 4-minute pop drum track and doing it in 3 sweeps of BD. Takes a few minutes... maybe a half hour if you want to be absolutely thorough and anal about your trigger points.

^^that's what I'm looking forward to. All of my technical metal drum-editing clients send me Cubase projects, so I'll just do them in that anyways because of slip editing. For production of other bands and my own band, though, PT is going to be where I do it all, and BD is going to be great for that.

Because our drummer is pretty tight, I track him to a click. I then warp the project grid to his audio, so I get his natural variation in the track... just a bit more natural. I then slip edit the bits that might feel a bit too clumsy for the song, like a certain drum fill for example.

I've never had any problem with destroying the feel, but that's because I don't slip edit every single hit. Imho, no matter which way you edit your drums, if you do it too much, you're going to fuck up the feel. I'd rather do a re-record if something sucks.

Just my 2p.