Reaper slip editing .... OH problem

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Hey guys, I'm successfully slip editing drums and getting through it pretty quickly, but I just stumbled across something.

My OHs sound just fine up until a certain point where the drummer plays an off-beat ride bell accent thingy. This part sounds chopped and fucked up once I edit kick and snares to grid.

What's the best way around this problem? Just ungroup the OH tracks for just that little part? This seems like it'd screw with the OH's since they are picking up a decent amount of snare..... =/

Thanks.

Depending on where the ride bells are hit in relation to the snare, you might try cutting and slipping the ride bells into place as well. If that sounds bad, try JUST placing the ride bells in time, and maybe that will move the snare to a decent spot as well.

I think I took care of it.....

I ungrouped the kick then tightly edited the snare and OHs together, then went back and aligned the kicks. Seemed to work ok.

Maybe that's not the best way? Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Ok, fuck my life. There's definitely a noticeable flamming going on between the kick and overheads..... =/ and Im already high passed pretty hard.

Sorry for all the posts guys.

Ok, now.....I went in deep and I could see where my kick hits were in the OH's and I ungrouped everthing but the OHs and moved them to where they lined up with the actual kick track and it seemed to clear things up.

Update: Damn that took longer than expected, and my dumb ass making errors....(and learning the hard way) .....I think I may have slipped the OHs a bit and then carried on slipping everything else and it may have caused a slight flamming but I dont have headphones here to REALLY listen close. Still not totally done.....realized I edited the PISS pout of 32nd notes to the grid and I shrunk the waveform down to its smallest size (for some reason faster kick hits are easier to pick apart this way) and didnt even take notice of all the snare hits I was missing..... :bah: so I had to undo a shitload of edits. Oh well, learning.

If there are really complex bits like that, then yeah, edit the kick and overhead separately. You may notice it when the OH and kick are solo'd together, and even with triggering and a highpass on the OHs. But you won't notice it in the mix. Only bits you have to worry are any drum solo bits, which are generally pretty few and far between.

The only way to get perfect, artifact free drum takes is to play them perfectly in the first place.

is there a way I can count all the cuts I made?
:D

I think I went way too crazy trying to line every kick hit up perfectly but I think the end result is ok for my first time.

Damn 64 note double kick part gets a bit of artifacts with the OHs....it's sorta tough editing the quicker kick parts .... Hopefully it wont stand out in a mix. I could always just start from scratch. :bah:

Damn 64 note double kick part gets a bit of artifacts with the OHs....it's sorta tough editing the quicker kick parts .... Hopefully it wont stand out in a mix. I could always just start from scratch. :bah:

If you have a guitar or something try putting a couple chords over it and see if the artifacts are noticeable.

I'm not sure how the mic placement was on your source tracks, but I usually edit my kicks separately from everything else, that way I'm not cutting up my overheads as much. I don't have a problem with flamming when I highpass up to around 500hz or so.

You'd be surprised what all you can get away with in a full mix when it comes to drum edits. That said, I try to quantize everything together, but if there is a part where I have to break up the kick and hands, I do it. Hands should take priority pretty much in every situation. It's not very often I come across tracks that I have to do that to but honestly when it does come, the mix covers up a lot of the artifacts/flamming that you can hear when the drums are solo.

Thanks guys! I'll post a clip tomorrow and maybe you can give me some pointers. I got some FX on everything and anytime I feel I get it sounding good, I come on here and hear some of these mixes and I'm just blown away at how everything is so right up front and in your face. I just can't seem to grasp what I'm doing wrong to NOT be able to have a badass mix.

Clip coming in the am. Looking forward to hearing anyones thoughts.