Venturing into Slip Editing (REAPER)

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I'm messing with slip editing in Reaper, and I think I've got the basic jist of it....I have one question though:

Say I have a kick drum beat going steady with a snare beat that lies right on the kick every so many beats. The snare is a bit earlier than the kick, and all the drums are grouped....and if I ungroup, bad things happen once I start sliding each track around individually. So, I have a snare and a kick that are (supposed to be) on the same hit, but the kick is late and the snare is early. If I put the kick to the grid, the snare transient gets lost in the crossfade.

Halp?!?!

Snare to the grid with everything grouped, then make another cut across the whole group before the next edit you would do, then go back, ungroup and move the kick hit separately. Keeps everything afterwards still aligned and you can usually get away with editing the kick on it's own now and then no problem.

Yeah, I sort of just ungrouped the kick and aligned everything but now I understand why you'd make the next cut because everything else was a bit off. Still not totally sure if I'm doing this correctly....I'm not using your little macro, but I'm just splitting before the grid and ALT+Click+Dragging the needed audio onto the grid....It seems as though I'm getting some artifacts though....some of the kick hits seem to be flamming a little. ......I guess I just need practice?

Hey Adam, I´ve followed your vids and imported your floating bar into Reaper! Just a few questions:
1. With your split edit tool, I see you engage it by clicking the right button of the mouse, it appears "A" next to the arrow, but I can´t figure it out how you start splitting...¿? What do you press to split??
2. With that feature I see you go thru all transients splitting them and then you move the clips to the grid with a "magnetic effect", how do you engage it????
3. Last one, using your dinamic split it shows the markers over the transients, but some of them are before/after the transient, other has been missed and there´s a transient without it´s marker....I´ve used all controls available but again I cant figure how to solve it....

Thanks mate!

1. Once you right click a button to "arm" it, any time you click with the mouse it runs the action, so just press the left mouse button to run it!

2. "Snap to grid", the little magnet in the toolbar.

3. Dynamic split in Reaper sucks unless you are using a totally clean source. What I do is put Trigger on my drum bus, add a tiny little "blip" sample which is just a really short 60hz sine wave with a fade out, adjust the settings until it is catching the important bits, print that track and group it with all my drum tracks. I use that as my dynamic split source and it works perfectly since there is zero bleed.

Thanks for replying!
just press the left mouse button to run it!

This is the obvious way.....but is not working for me, when I left click my mouse nothing happens...

3. Dynamic split in Reaper sucks unless you are using a totally clean source

I see....is there any way to quantice a clip without splitting??? I mean just move the transients to the grid and strech if necessary....like audiosnap in Sonar....

One last thing: I know how to group tracks, no problem with that, but I can´t find the function you use, the one that you select one clip of the tracks grouped, and automatically selects all clips grouped....

Thanks again a lot for your work!!

One problem I notice to be having is the kick hits.....seems as though the "rumble" of the kick drum is making it difficult to distinguish the spaces in between the kick hits. So once I start splitting, I start getting slight artifact/flam type things going on. Maybe I should trigger the kicks, then render them down and maybe that'd help? I'd much prefer to edit everything tightly then render the triggers on....

What I find helpful is to sidechain gates in KD, SN and TOMS to the triggers, so when I´m editing I render those tracks so in Sn I only have Sn hits and so on...
Usually get problems when editing kick separate to the SN and OH´s and the flamming in Sn and Toms is evident.